Prologue

Imani was the heart and soul of the local library, a haven of knowledge and serenity in the beautiful city of New York. Her days were spent amongst the dusty shelves, helping visitors find the perfect book and fostering a sense of community through her warm smile and gentle demeanor.

One bright morning, as the sun streamed through the library's tall windows, Imani front and center of the library with her head stuck inside a literature book called "the tears that taught me" by Morgan Richard Olivier. She pushed up her squared glasses that slid down to her buttoned nose every so often. A dark cloud of arrogance entered in the form of Leonardo, a wealthy Italian entrepreneur. His entrance was marked by a furrowed brow and impatient strides. It was clear that he had little regard for the quiet sanctity of the library.

Leonardo had come to the library on a whim, a place he hadn't visited since his teen years back in Italy. He needed information for a business deal, and his usual sources had failed him. Imani, sensing his unease, closed her book and approached him with her usual grace.

"Do you need help?" she asked with a warm smile, pushing her glasses up her nose.

Leonardo, unaccustomed to such genuine kindness, was taken aback but decided to indulge her assistance. As she led him to the relevant section, their worlds couldn't have seemed further apart. Imani was wrapped in the cocoon of literature, romance and fantasy, while Leonardo navigated a world of power, wealth, and intrigue.

Over the weeks, Leonardo visits to the library became more frequent. He found solace in the presence of the sweet librarian and began to explore the world of books he had long neglected. Imani introduced him to the magic of storytelling, and their conversations meandered from literary discussions to personal anecdotes.

"Being an author is one of my dreams. One day I'll tell stories the way I want." She said to him confidently.

Imani's kindness melted away Leonardo icy demeanor. He began to look forward to their interactions, cherishing the moments of peace and warmth she provided amidst his demanding life. He even found himself sharing stories of his childhood and dreams he had long buried.

As their connection deepened, Imani and Leonardo fell deeply in love, a love that transcended their differences. Imani was enchanted by Leonardo generosity and devotion to her. Leonardo, in turn, was captivated by her genuine heart and unwavering support.

Yet, there was a secret that loomed over Leonardo's life, one that he had hidden from not just Imani but hidden with great care.

One fateful evening, as they strolled through the town's quiet streets with their hands intertwined, Leonardo found the courage to confess his truth. A strain in his voice as he revealed his ties in Italy, the danger that followed him back home when it came to his family, and the love he felt for her. Imani, though shocked, saw the fear and vulnerability in his eyes and embraced him, promising to stand by his side.

Their love story had a hidden dimension, one filled with danger and secrecy that Imani knew nothing about. As they navigated the complexities of their relationship, they clung to the love they had found, believing in the power of their connection to overcome any obstacle.

Imani's life had taken an unexpected turn, leading her into the heart of a world she never could have imagined. But she knew that love had the strength to bridge even the widest chasms, and she was determined to be the anchor in Leonardo's turbulent life.

In two years' time, 

Imani, a nervous but determined woman, paces back and forth in their living room. Leonardo,  enters with a serious and tensed expression on his face.

Imani stood trying to mask her anxiety. "Hey, Leo I've been meaning to talk to you about something important."

Leonardo seemed slightly distracted. "Actually, there is something important we have to discuss. Can we sit down and talk?

Imani's heart sinks, but she nods as they both sit on the couch. The atmosphere is heavy with anticipation.

"Alright, you go first." She finally breathes out.

Leonardo taking a deep breath. "Imani, there's a family obligation in Italy that I must fulfill. It's a complicated situation, and I want to be honest with you. It's not by choice, but it's something I can't avoid due to family expectations and commitments. I care deeply about you, and I want you to know that no matter what happens, my feelings for you are genuine."

Imani's eyes widen in shock. She feels the weight of her own news pressing against her chest, but she can't bring herself to share it after hearing about the arranged marriage.

Imani with her teary-eyes. "An arranged marriage? Leo, I don't understand. We've been together for two years. You're now telling me?"

Leo looking down, "I tried to reason with them, Imani maybe try and hold this all off, but they're adamant. It's about fulfilling their expectations and preserving our family's honor. I'm torn, I really am. I love you so much, but I can't go against my family."

Imani's mind races as she wrestles with her emotions. She realizes that sharing her news now would only complicate an already difficult situation.

Imani struggling to compose herself,  "I... I understand, Leo. Family is important. You have to do what's best for you and your future. I'll deal with it, somehow."

Saying that 'family' is important all she could think about was the growing baby in her stomach and what would be best for them. 

Leonardo reaches out to hold Imani's hand, but she pulls away, unable to bear the pain of their impending separation. "Don't."

Leo tightens his jaw and his fist following the same pattern, "I'm sorry, Imani. I truly am. I wish things could be different. That I could be a different man for you."

Imani feeling immense pain in her throat, "So do I."

Leonardo nods, his eyes filled with regret and sorrow. They sit in silence for a moment, both realizing that their relationship is coming to an end.