introduction

We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.

The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses.

Two tribes, one island.

All right. First we have Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. You can't go two meters without being hit with rich kid shit. Everyone has the latest phone, or the newest pair of shoes, and if you don't have the newest jeep, can you even survive?

So guess where we don't live.

Now we have the south side, or The Cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... drumroll, please...

...the Pogues.

That's us.

Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Kind of a shit name if you think about it, but it's stuck.

The downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected.

But the upside of Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

So right now you're thinking, the Pogues? They sound like annoying teens. Well you're right, thats exactly what we are. Pains in everyone's asses.

First theres JJ, or Jay, but only I can call him that, my best friend, and next door neighbour, since I was six. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

Me and Jay have a weird relationship, we're just friends, but he knows everything about me, and we are never apart, and we practically don't go a night without each other. He's a bit crazy, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the same. In fact, we're basically the same person.

Next we have Kiara, or Kie, as we call her. When she's not saving turtles or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why, though. So, she's a rich kid, actually. Foot in both worlds. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists. My mom has worked for them since forever, and they have been nice with her considering. That's actually how Kie and I met.

We were young and our parents would be working so we would sit and play. You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about the boys. I'm pretty sure they like me, or at least enough that they put up with me. Kie and her family have always kept an eye on me, and I'll always thank them for it. All the boys kinda have a thing for Kie, I mean, I totally get it, she's the reason I realised I am bi, she's fucking hot.

And there's Pope, the brains of the operation... finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And the smartest person I know. I would say not to tell him, but I don't know many smart people so, he'd probably have guessed. He's the type of guy to tell you an idea is stupid and that you're gonna die doing it, then, when you ignore him, he follows after you and makes sure you don't die.

Anyway his father's this legendary character, Heyward. I work for Heyward, he's a fair boss you could say, but he has genuinely helped me with money more times than I can count. Anything you want on the island, Heyward can get for you, which is why everyone loves him. Despite the Carrera's always keeping an eye out for me, Heyward was different, the poor guy was practically my father and as much as he would never admit it, he genuinely cares about me.

Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us. Me and Pope have bonded a lot over our hate for working, and I would probably count him as my brother, and I'm the one who introduced him to the pogues. Pope has a real shot at getting off the island, and honestly, I'd do anything to help that happen. He's earned it.