10 ~ The Meet

~1 week later~

Kalindi (Thaku Maa) talked to Bondita about the marriage proposal.  She had come to Bhaumik's house because that's where Bondita is residing currently.

"Bondita beta, I have to tell you something."

"What is it, Thaku Maa?"

"Chandrachur Jamai Babu has gotten a marriage proposal for you."

"What?! Thaku Maa it's too early!"

"I know, I know. But, I'll be the one who decides whether you'll marry the guy or not."

"What did Baba say?"

"He reluctantly agreed after I told him the same thing."

"Thaku Maa, if Baba tells no, please abide by it. Something similar happened previously and Baba was right."

"WHAT? YOU WERE ALMOST MARRIED OFF WITHOUT MY CONSENT?" She bellowed.

"Yes. It was Mama and Mami who brought the alliance. Maa was also in their side." Bondita replied.

"How did the wedding stop?"

"Baba had to pull some strings to stop the marriage."

"Ever since that, Baba and Maa started to fight. I faced the brunt of it. I and Baba lived separately from them. Since Maa was alone, she let Mama, Mami and Sampoorna move in with them. Things went downhill after that."

"How dare they?!" Kalindi was fuming now.

"Calm down Thaku Maa. Just be careful. Trust Baba. That's all I can say."

"Okay Bondita. As you say."

"Also, Thaku Maa, never let anyone know that you know this. Take Baba privately somewhere and talk to him."

"Arey, I know Bondita." Thaku Maa chuckled.

"Just saying, Thaku Maa. Last time you said the same thing and almost let everyone know of it." Bondita grinned mischievously.

Kalindi just smiled and patted Bondita's head lovingly and started back for Krishna Nagar.  

*

*

*

~Krishna Nagar~

Kalindi summoned all of the members to discuss for the preparations to meet the groom. 

After the discussion, she took Prosenjit to a remote location to talk about the failed attempt to get Bondita married off.

"Yes, Thaku Maa. It happened. Luckily, I was able to pull some strings."

"I understand. They'll pay. I can give you my word for it." She asserted.

"Okay. The prospective groom's family will be coming in half-an hour. Be ready." Kalindi replied.

"What did Bondita say, Thaku Maa?"

"She asked me to go with your gut feeling. She said she trusts you, so don't believe them and lead her into a trap." Kalindi advised.

"I won't let you and Bondita down, Thaku Maa."

"I know you won't." Kalindi smiled and replied. They went back to the Haveli.

On the other hand, Sumati was fighting between stopping the marriage and ruining her daughter's life for the sake of Kalindi punishing her. Even in this, she wasn't able to grasp the point that somewhere she was wrong too.

~At 4 PM~

A car stood in front of the Das Bhari. None of the maids were around because Kalindi had given them the rest of the day off. 

The Chatterjee Family stood in front of the Haveli, waiting for Kalindi to welcome them. 

All of the Das Parivaar members had come out to welcome them.

Prosenjit was watching their movements like a hawk.  He was feeling a bit uneasy already.

Kalindi welcomed them and made them sit. Bondita rushed through the backdoor, as her presence was required there.

Kalindi engaged them with talks till Bondita got ready. She got to know that Purab, their eldest son is the groom and he is Chandrachur's best friend. There was another petite woman standing next to the place where he was sitting. 

Kalindi asked, "Is the lady his first wife?" 

The expressions on their faces changed for a split second. 

A major red flag.

"Arey, nahi nahi. Yeh meri doosra beta, Uttar ke patni hai. Hume hamare hone wali bahu ko dekhni hai. Kahan hai woh?" 

"There's something going on." Kalindi thought to herself.

Brushing it aside, she asked Tapur to bring Bondita. Within 10 minutes, Bondita arrived, holding 2 trays in her hand. 

The Family except the petite woman looked pleased. The woman had a forced smile on her face. Both Prosenjit and Kalindi noticed this.

They gave a look to each other and continued talking with them. 

Purab's mother asked Bondita to walk, talk and all those other stupid and nonsensical things the annoying in-laws would ask you to do.

She internally rolled her eyes but complied with the requests. 

"Chai garma garam peete hai, Kaki, yeh toh thandi ho gyi hai." Bondita snapped in a subtle way when that lady didn't stop commenting on how perfect she is and also passed snide remarks over her being well-educated.

Anger flashed in Purab's eyes but he quickly smiled to hide his anger. They did complement on her cooking skills, but his parents had some drawbacks despite enjoying the tea and snacks [your typical, patriarchal, rude in-laws].

Kalindi told them to await her response in 2 or 3 days and that Chandrachur would inform them. Soon, they left, feeling happy that Kalindi has considered their marriage proposal.

Bondita sat down with a thud on the couch. Her DJ session was about to start.

*** 

Who doesn't like a fiery woman?

Brace yourselves for Bondita's DJ session.

Stay tuned for more chapters.