CHAPTER 1

Today is the first day of school, and I'm struggling to find the motivation to get out of bed. However, I have no choice but to rise and shine; I don't want my dad to start questioning me. Tsk!

After reluctantly getting dressed, I stand in front of the mirror, staring into my own eyes, trying to read the weariness in them. I'd like to continue this introspection, but a soft knock on my door interrupts me.

"Miss... uh, Sofia? Your breakfast is ready. Your Dad is waiting for you downstairs," she almost addresses me as "Ms. Aragon," but I give her a look. I prefer "Sofia" without the formalities, as everyone knows.

I simply nod, grab my bag, and follow her downstairs.

"How did your meeting with the Braganzas go last night?" Dad inquires, his tone dripping with seriousness. I can't help but roll my eyes. Always seeking attention!

"Good morning to you too," I reply, taking a bite of my breakfast. I hear a faint chuckle from him. See?

Dad can be incredibly serious about business, but when it comes to me? You've got to be kidding if you think he can maintain that seriousness. Just like earlier.

"Baby, why the long face?" Dad asks in a childlike tone, but I merely raise an eyebrow in response, causing him to pout.

"You've been like this for years. I can barely have a decent conversation with you. When are you going to be m——" He doesn't finish his sentence before I stand up.

"It's my first day of school, and I can't afford to be late," I say, then I leave, heading to the car with our driver.

By the way, I'm Sofia Collins Aragon, 20 years old, a Business Administration student. What do you expect? I'm already a sophomore in college. Since today is the first day of school, I make my way straight to the Student Council Office. Fortunately, there aren't too many students around yet, so I'm spared from any annoyance caused by their chatter.

"Good morning, Sofia," Alexandra Lim greets me with a smile. She's the Vice President of the council.

"Alexa? Where are the others?" I ask with a serious tone, momentarily catching her off guard as she takes a deep breath.

"Tsk! Some haven't returned, and some might not even show up today," she says, slumping onto her desk.

"Tell those who extended their vacations to return promptly. If they value their positions, they better be present at our meeting tomorrow, or else," I instruct her as I set up my laptop.

"Ugh! Those fools! Always like this!" I hear Alexa complain, eliciting a bit of sympathy from me.

It's not that I'm against them enjoying a vacation or taking a break. It's just that it seems like some of them extended their vacation a bit too liberally, and I won't stand for it. Why did they become Council officers if they're not going to fulfill their duties or take their roles seriously? In our school, being in the Student Council grants you the privilege to attend or skip classes at your discretion. However, everyone must still take exams. Attendance is not mandatory in our school; what matters is that you pass your exams.