Chapter 4

Sitting in the barn owned by Cade Yeager, Optimus was deep in his thoughts. Cade had Lucas leave the property to get what he needed. Optimus could see that Cade was very willing to help him, but he also knew that Cade was unfamiliar with the anatomy of transformers, so it might take time for him to figure things out. If Saphira were here, he would hope she still remembers what Ratchet had taught her about transformer anatomy and medical needs. But she was not here. He could still feel the bond, but it was so weak that they could not sense each other's feelings, nor could he send comfort and love through the bond to her. He had no idea what was happening in her life, and he wished he knew.

Cade walked into the barn to put his apron back on and began by first analysing Optimus's body to start on the areas that appeared to need the repair the most. Optimus did guide Cade a little as he did know some medical information that Ratchet and other medical transformers had taught to him so that he could assist when medics weren't available. Cade appreciated the guide, and got set to work. Optimus observed him as the man gathered materials and used the tools he needed to begin working on fixing him.

Optimus did not yet know if there was another motive behind Cade's reasoning to try and help him. Optimus knew that the human could easily betray him if he wanted to. But the man seemed to be honorable, and he was not a soldier, which meant this human was more likely to feel sympathy than the humans who have been hunting him and his autobots down. And that brought some sense of safety.

Optimus intakes deep and let out a cough, making Cade look at him as the large bot coughed. "Take it easy, big guy. You don't need to be causing any short circuits to yourself." Optimus just smiled a little and looked easy from him. "I see you got a lot on your mind. Since you might be here a while, I don't mind listening to your story."

Optimus sighed as he rubbed his chassis gently. He was feeling a lot of pain at this time due to the injuries he still had, but it was at least manageable to him. "The damage to my system is making it a little hard to intake. With some repair, I won't be coughing uncomfortably."

Cade seemed surprised by the response as he worked on straightening some metal pieces using heat to help him. "That's a surprise to me. So you can breathe, I always thought you could not."

"We don't require oxygen like yourself. But I suppose we can breathe, it is just not like you." Optimus tapped his fingers lightly on his chassis and looked at Cade with a curious expression. "And why would you have any interest in my story, Cade? My story isn't exactly filled with a lot of good memories."

Cade shrugged and looked up at him with a smile. "I guess because when I first heard about you being here, I would have loved to have met you sooner. There's so much to learn from you, and that makes it worth talking to you." Optimus seemed unconvinced and the man just chuckled slightly. "You seem like you got a lot of things on your mind anyway. I know what it's like to bottle everything up inside. I do it all the time, so my daughter doesn't have to worry about me more than she does right now."

Optimus was interested now as he was surprised by how easily Cade seemed to understand. "I see. I will admit that I cannot fool all of my autobots when I am keeping something to myself. Ratchet, Ironhide and Bumblebee are not do easily fooled, as they have known me the longest. It is true I have a lot on my mind right now, Cade."

Cade gave the autobot an understanding expression. "I assume you are thinking about the autobots."

Optimus nodded. "Yes. I do not know how many of us are left. When we were first attacked, we had to scatter." He pondered for a moment and looked at Cade curiously. "Tell me, what date is it?" The man raised an eyebrow in surprise. "When I fell into a deep state of recharge, it was June 2013. I am not sure how much time has passed."