Chapter 5

When the morning came around, Optimus was able to enjoy the sunrise as he sat in the barn. He was able to get some recharge during the night and he was feeling better now that he has had some rest. He was still in need of more repair though, so he was waiting for Cade patiently to come out from his house. Optimus did not pressure the man, as he knew that Cade had worked late into the evening and was very tired by then, so it was fine for him to enjoy his sleep as well. Optimus's mind never stopped thinking about Saphira. He missed her terribly, and he held onto the emerald again, knowing that it was the only thing he of Saphira currently.

Cade did make his way over to the barn while the few was still fresh on the grass, and he got to work straight away. For someone who has never dealt with an autobot, Optimus was impressed with how quickly Cade learned about his anatomy enough to fix him so that he was functional. Optimus was still unsure of the motive Cade had behind wanting to fix him, but he trusted this human.

Almost as quickly as he had trusted Saphira. He could not help but look back on the very first night she had met Saphira, and the night he, Ratchet, Ironhide and Jazz had arrived on the planet. He could not help but smile, remembering her curious, fearful expression when he had approached her and Bumblebee that night. That was the first time he saw her, and he remembered thinking his processor was fooling him as he first thought she was Elita's holoform.

But of course, that was not the case. It was just a moment of surprise, and Optimus was very glad that he had met her that night. She accepted their plight, and helped them. Optimus knew that Saphira was disowned by her parents as a result, along with not being able to go through college and having a normal life was no longer possible. Optimus felt a lot of guilt, as he knew if they were not here, her life would look very different.

However, Optimus did not know if she would even be happy, if her life was different. She would have still inherited her grandfather's wealth and estate, and she would have learned of the existence of transformers. But she wouldn't have gone through war and pain either. Especially with what Megatron had done to her. He will never forgive himself for not being able to reach her to stop him from violating her in such a way.

Cade looked at Optimus and noticed that Optimus was thinking deeply. "You should tell me more about your sparkmate." The autobot frowned and looked at Cade uncertainly. "She sounds like a keeper, based on what you said yesterday. But for some reason, the way you said it, almost made it seem like that your sparkmate is a human."

Optimus could see the curiosity in Cade's eyes, and he understood as he shared details about his wife. But he was still not sure if he should trust Cade with information about Saphira specifically. Cade might be wanting to know, since the two of them have bonded over having lost someone close to them, and it was understandable. But Optimus was not sure on whether he should admit it or not.

He pondered for a moment before he responded. "Listen, Cade, I understand you want to know more simply put of curiosity, but I don't feel I can speak more about Saphira at this time. If, in time, I feel it is information that I feel you have earned I will tell you. But I only met you yesterday, and I have yet to know your true intentions."

"I see." Cade seemed a bit surprised, but he shrugged as he realized that the leader of the autobots was right. "Understandable. I guess she must truly be special though. The way you looked at that emerald yesterday reminds me of when I look at my wedding ring. It's a symbol of our love and bond, and for you, that would be the emerald. I hope she has something to remember you by as well."

Optimus smiled slightly. He knew the only thing she might have was the necklace he had given her, but it might have been destroyed at the emerald field when they were first attacked. "I am afraid she only has our bond. You might have a gold band around your finger, Cade, but we have no need for suck trinkets. While I don't need this emerald, it is all I have of her right now. I...I carry a lot of guilt for the last several years I have known her."