7

"How long did you know!?" Flynn's voice forced an involuntary flinch through Marina's body. She glanced at Morgan, unnerved by the lack of rise and fall of her chest. Morgan's sunken skin and grayish pallor didn't give Marina faith it would work.

"I didn't know they were going to track me. Eryn was afraid of it happening, but I thought I was safe, I would've never come back to Purgatory if I knew it was going to put you guys at risk." Marina explained. She knew it was her fault. She should have told her friends about what she was doing, about who Eryn was. She wanted to take a break from having to be princess of Aqueria even on land, but it got her nowhere.

"We would've been safe if you never went to the godforsaken club." Flynn slammed his hand against the steering wheel, "you went without us! Twice. Did you forget we are all here risking your asses to help you? All you care about is yourself and finding someone who..." Flynn trailed off, casting Marina a sidelong glance and sighed. He didn't want to say things he would regret. He was angry, but mostly angry at himself.

Marina hung her head and studied Morgan's neck. Only a scar remained from the grisly wound. Hopefully, it was a good sign. Marina grazed her fingers over the scarred skin. Vampires were truly powerful, scary creatures. Marina couldn't take back what happened. She wished she never met Eryn, but at the same time, she was lucky she did. If she didn't, Morgan wouldn't have a chance at life. Marina was going to have to live with herself and her mistakes haunting her. Morgan might hate her, but at least she was alive.

"Don't you care about our friends? Do you want Morgan to die?" Marina scoffed quietly, "You're too busy dealing with your hate and your prejudices that you don't realize the very thing you hate Morgan will become."

"I could ask you the same thing. There was no point in coming here, Marina. This," Flynn waved his hand at Morgan, "isn't worth it."

Marina couldn't take him antagonizing her anymore. She was beating herself up already, she didn't need Flynn beating her to the ground as well. "You know that isn't true. If you didn't believe it, you wouldn't have come here. We need to trust each other."

Flynn remained silent as Marina told him they were in front of Eryn's loft. He put the car into park and slid out, heading to the backseat to carefully gather Morgan in his arms. "At what cost? Your friends' lives? Because if that's the case, I'm taking Syd and heading back to Aqueria. I don't give a fuck if you're of royal blood. This is suicide. It's gone far enough." Flynn grit his teeth. This was exactly what he knew was going to happen. They were getting too lucky and their luck had finally run out.

Flynn's words were daggers to Marina's chest, but she knew he was right. She shouldn't have gotten them wrapped up in this. Her investigating Purgatory got her friends hurt. Marina didn't want to sacrifice anyone. They headed toward Eryn's apartment in silence before Flynn spoke up again.

"Trusting that blood demon to save Morgan was stupid. Do you think she really is going to save Syd? She might go and feed on her too. We're sitting ducks here." Flynn watched as Marina opened the door to Eryn's apartment in silence. "I couldn't do a damn thing to protect the girls. We should've listened to King Mycordis."

Marina flinched at the mention of her father's name. He didn't trust they would be safe in Queen Anne. He said the piers and the bay were too dangerous. Flynn bringing it up now only made Marina feel more incompetent. Her friends knew the risk they were taking by following her, she told them why she wanted to be on land. If Marina returned home, she'd never get the chance to find out about Neri. She wouldn't have any free choice, having to marry Jasper for the benefit of the kingdom. She didn't want any of it to go to waste. "Look, I trust Eryn is going to help. She hasn't done anything to hurt me."