22

Eryn let out a heavy sigh. She rubbed her face once she settled into the backyard chair. She stared at the sun high in the sky, enjoying the heat that coasted along her skin. She contemplated on how she was going to talk to Morgan. Now that her detox was over Eryn was going to have to talk to her and guide her in the same way that Sybil did for her.

Lance settled into the seat across from Eryn and crossed his legs. He pulled a hot steaming mug of warm coffee and blood to his mouth. He took a long sip and set it onto the table across from them. "How are you?"

"I don't know what to do to help Morgan. I fear my words may not be enough," Eryn covered her face and leaned her elbows on her thighs. Morgan had a taste of mermaid blood, Marina's blood. That whole evening was a mess and Eryn herself fell from grace. How could she tell Morgan she was wrong for her actions when in turn she did the same thing?

Lance knew this day would come for Eryn in which she would need guidance and her sire would not be there to give it. He promised himself he would take up the mantle in Sybil's place to help Eryn. With her age, he knew she had the ability to become a powerful and influential vampire, but her confidence stopped her from own ambition.

"You're always going to be that monster. You'll be at the edge, but you define what you want to do with that. You can build bricks up and wall the edge or you can fall to your demons." Lance leaned back and laced his fingers together over his knee, "Arlo chose to break that wall and fall into his demons and that's something I must carry. I feel that I failed him so I know exactly what you're feeling."

He winced, watching how his words may not have helped Eryn in any way. She lifted her face from her hands and gave Lance a somber expression. "Morgan is a young vampire, she will make mistakes, but she can choose how she wants to live her life. You can guide her in the way that you strive to live yours."

Eryn chuckled dryly. She drew her knees to her chest and hugged them. "I don't know what I want to do with my life... I don't have a purpose."

Lance listened to two pairs of footsteps draw closer. Their words were quiet, but Chris was telling Morgan the story of his own control. "Yes, you do." He tipped his head toward Chris and Morgan coming up the garden trail toward the backyard. "Her."

Morgan stood at the edge of the deck with her hands in her pockets. She had darkened circles under her eyes and her cheeks were sunken in. Her pupils were large and almost blown out with a thin iris of red around it. "Hey."

Chris set two blood bags on the table. "Here. I wish you both luck. Lance, would you like to take a walk with me? I need to check the perimeter." Lance held his hand out and Chris took it, kissing the top of it before pulling him from his seat. They linked arms with each other and walked away.

"Everything went well?" Chris asked, stroking Lance's hand with his thumb.

Lance half smiled and let out a sigh of relief, "Somewhat, I trust everything will go well."

A warm buzz spread in the gut of Chris' stomach as he searched Lance's face. He grinned and cupped his face, planting a kiss on his forehead. Before he went to pull away, Lance wrapped his arms around Chris' neck and kissed him deeper.

When they finally pulled away Chris slid his arms around Lance's waist and sucked his teeth. He brushed his lips against Lance's temple. "We need a date night soon."

Lance nodded. They barely had time to themselves in the first place when it came to Denali and Amelia. With the rest of the Veronis clan now at the estate, they barely had any time to themselves. Lance ran his fingers over Chris' chest, feeling the hard muscle underneath. He squeezed the fabric of Chris' thermal and shook his head before pulling away. "After this is all over... we can have alone time."