16

Lance picked up a flower from its plastic pot and inspected it. He drew his legs under him and leaned forward, using a small shovel to create a hole for the flowers. Marina watched him carefully drop the flower into the hole he made. He looked completely normal in his bright pink overalls and floppy hat that effectively shielded himself from the sun. He wiped his forehead with his forearm and half smiled at Marina.

"What's on your mind?"

Marina blinked and shook her head, "sorry I was staring. I don't know, I was just thinking about how you could use your enhanced speed to plant all of these." She waved her head toward the dozens of flowers waiting to be planted.

"Well," Lance held out his hand and Marina handed him a purple flower. He peeled it from the plastic pot and shrugged, "it's not about the product. It's about the process during it. I find planting therapeutic and relaxing. Yes, it'll look great once its done, but I get true pleasure in taking the time to plant each and every one of them. Being my age... I don't know the novelty of my abilities have worn off. I like to pretend I'm human, its more fun that way."

She wasn't quite sure if she understood what Lance was saying. She wrote it off as being human herself. If she had enhanced speed, she would be able to get so many things done. She thought it was a cool thing to have.

"I would also like to have a farm," Lance said as he smoothed over the dirt around the flowers. A soft expression grew on his face and he spoke, "We have land on the other side of the estate, past the guest houses to grow one, but since Eryn has returned, I haven't quite had time for that project."

"Talking about Eryn," Marina followed Lance's example and took a flower out from the plastic pot. The roots ripped off a bit and she frowned. Lance reached over and showed her how to gently push away the dirt.

"She's fine," Lance said quietly, "she and Morgan are detoxing. They should be okay, that's something you don't have to worry about."

"What about tonight?" Lance couldn't possibly be gardening and pretending that nothing was going to happen tonight. She knew they were supposed to rescue her friends, but she didn't know why she was gardening with Lance. When he asked her, she was happy to oblige, but she felt as if she was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Lance pressed his lips together, "That's also something you don't have to worry about. We're going to try our hardest to save them, Marina." He gently pulled another flower from the pot, but he was rougher than usual. He stilled and dropped the plant to the ground. "I'm sorry I have to go."

Marina frowned and opened her mouth to ask if everything was okay, but Lance blinked away before she had the chance to do so.

↭↭↭

Marina wanted to scream. They were being cryptic with her about Eryn's whereabouts and now with Lance disappearing for some reason. She kept being told there was nothing to worry about, but they were giving her a lot of reasons to worry. She knew she wasn't as powerful as they were, she knew she could not rescue her friends herself. It was frustrating to have to rely on their help. She wished she could do what she had seen her father do. King Mycordis had the power to control the waves like Moses, but she could not do anything close to that.

Her father once told her that she needed to open her mind and heart to her heritage, but she had no idea what he meant. He earned this power from being the King of Aqueria, but it was her mother who had royal blood. She could not even begin to imagine the things she could do. She wished her mother was alive, perhaps then she would've had the guidance to protect herself and her people.

After Marina waited long enough for Lance to come back, she grabbed all the gardening tools and placed them into a neat little bag. She put the remains of the plants into a wagon Lance brought along and tugged it back toward the main house. It was much heavier than Lance made it seem, probably due to his enhanced strength.