11

Eryn insisted giving sidelong glances to Marina to assess if she was okay. She wouldn't blame her if she ran out of the house screaming. She was sure Marina didn't expect any of this. Vampires weren't the type to settle down and make a home for themselves, but all that Lance and Chris ever wanted was to be together. They fought against the odds for many years to have the life they had now. Eryn had seen Lance take down an entire army of humans in mere seconds before he decided to live a domesticated life. It was a relief to see him in his own skin.

A myriad of emotions played in Marina's eyes. Eryn wanted to know what she was thinking.

Marina smiled softly and looked at her hands. She couldn't believe how nice Lance was to her. At first, she was a bit hesitant, but he instantly made her feel comfortable, talking to her as if he'd known her for years. He cleaned up her wounds as best as he could and even inspected her legs for any pieces of glass. He offered her a change of clothes, in which she happily obliged, but she remained with Eryn's sweater, it providing her some sort of comfort.

In the doorway of an office stood a man taller than Eryn who she recognized as Chris. The vampire was massive, with tree trunks for arms and a grip like a vice. Eryn was sure before Chris was turned, he was already immovable. His dreads were piled high with a red scarf around them to keep them out of his face. His cold, hard gaze took in Marina and Eryn.

A slow smile crept its way onto Chris' face. "Ryn, maybe you should get out more. You're looking a bit pale." His voice was deep, thick, and smooth like butter, the type that rumbled in Eryn's chest when he spoke.

"Fuck off," Eryn grinned a shit-eating smile as he grabbed her shoulders and gruffly pulled her in for a hug. She hugged him back, finding comfort in his touch. "How are you all doing?"

Chris set Eryn down and settled on the couch beside Lance. "We're great, you should know that already. When are you going to introduce me to your friend over there? I'm sure you can hear her heart pounding too."

Eryn perched on the edge of the couch Marina sat on. "This is Marina. Marina, this is Chris, Lance's husband."

Marina instantly shot to her feet and held her trembling hand out. She didn't know what to make of Chris, but she was a bit wary of him. He was absolutely massive. Chris guffawed and yanked her into his arms, hugging her tightly. Her pulse seemed to settle down a bit and the tension in the air slowly dissipated. Marina found his hug to be comforting. She couldn't believe Lance and Chris... she almost didn't believe they were vampires.

"Okay, enough with the introductions, let's get down to the real reason why you're here," Lance chirped, walking around Chris' oak desk and sitting on his giant leather chair. "As nice as it is that you're here, I know you're not here just to say hi."

Guilt sank into Eryn's chest. Lance was right. If everything was fine, Eryn wouldn't have come.

Chris shook his head and smiled. He wordlessly approached Lance and picked him up, sitting down on the chair and plopping Lance onto his lap. They gave each other a look as if they were the only ones in the room.

Eryn cleared her throat, all too used to the looks they'd give each other. Marina's face was flushed and Eryn knew the feeling. She was used to constantly feeling like the odd man out around them.

"Jesus Eryn, your eyes. When's the last time you fed?" Chris rubbed his face and cut her a stern glare.

"I'm fine." Not here. Not now. "There are more matters to attend to." Eryn hoped he wouldn't push the matter anymore. Chris wasn't afraid to voice his opinion on Eryn drinking animal blood. They didn't think it was healthy and felt as if she was starving herself.