The Favor of a Gang Leader

Sera sat up in her sleeping bag groggily and blindly patted around for her ringing scroll. Finally, her hand closed around the device, and she brought it to her ear with her eyes still closed.

"Hello?" she said hoarsely.

"Kid," a gruff voice said, and Sera's eyes shot open when she realized it was Qrow Branwen.

"Qrow?" she whispered, looking around to make sure everyone else was still asleep.

"I need to talk to you, Snowball. Are you alone?"

"Hold on, I was in bed," she muttered while climbing out of her sleeping bag and hurrying to the bathroom. Once the door was locked behind her, she turned and brought her scroll to her ear. "Okay, we're good."

"I've got some good news and some bad news," the huntsman sighed.

"Okay," she blinked. "What's the good news?"

"I had a talk with Junior. He's going to semi-let you out of that deal."

"Semi?"

"That's the bad news," Qrow said. "You still have to help him with one job. Tonight."

"Tonight?" she hissed. "That's a nice head's up."

"Better be glad you're getting it from me. If it was from him, you wouldn't know until an hour beforehand."

Sera sighed and put her forehead against the wall. "What do I need to do?"

"Get some clothes that no one would recognize you in, but don't overdo it, kid. Blend in, like you're one of Junior's goons. A mask of some sort wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than that, just try not to do anything too illegal, and definitely don't get caught. I doubt that even Ozpin could get you off the hook if the cops bring you in," he advised. "Wear gloves. You absolutely do not want your fingerprints to be found."

"It sounds like you're a little too familiar with how this stuff works, old man," she smirked.

"What can I say? I know what I'm doing," he said. "From what Junior told me, you'll really just be a bodyguard, so don't worry too much. 'Sposed to be a Dust deal, but stay on your guard, those things usually go bad."

"Got it," she said. "Any other advice you could give a soon-to-be criminal?"

"I would say to not use your own weapon, but I don't think there's a way either of yours could be traced. Plus, there's not enough time to get any unmarked weapons."

"What about something from one of Beacon's training rooms?" she asked.

"Bad idea. Those would get traced to the school, and cops would investigate the teachers and students. Nah, just use your own gear. It's not exactly easy to track that sword of yours, believe it or not. Not unless someone gets a really good look at it," he said.

"Well, that's good to know," she muttered. "That it?"

"Yeah, think so. If you need anything, or if it looks like things are going real bad, just get the hell out of there," the huntsman said.

"Right," she looked at the floor.

"You okay, kid? Nervous?"

"No. Well, yeah, but there was something else," she tapped her foot on the bathroom floor. "I had another dream."

"...The woman's voice?" he asked quietly.

"...Yeah."

"What'd she say?" he said delicately.

"Well, she neither confirmed nor denied that 'Kassandra' was my actual name. She mocked my desire to be a huntress. And..." she chewed her lip.

"And...?"