CHAPTER 2: CROOKED MAN

A man in his 70s was sitting alone in one of the torn-up seats. Mariin syang nakatingin sa akin na para bang ako ang susi sa punong-puno at naguumapaw'ng kahon ng mga katanungan. He had on a faded plaid shirt. A small red notebook was poking out of the front pocket; the notebook somewhat caught my attention. I mean, why would an old man need to have a notebook with him? His skin sagged around his dark eyes as he continued to look at me as if he'd been waiting to meet me for a long time. What’s wrong with this guy?

I was annoyed by his stares and finally decided to take the courage to walk towards the seats and ask him why he was looking at me.

“What’s the matter? I notice that you’ve been looking at me. Can I help you? "I politely asked.

He was stunned at first, and it took him a few seconds to respond.

“Yes. Well, your answers will be a great help, to be honest.”

My brows furrowed, and his reply confused me.

“Answers? What do you mean by that? ”

“I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind."

“Questions? About what? ” 

“About you, tungkol lamang sayo,” his lips form a smirk.

This naughty old man's behavior is sending me shivers down my spine.

“Excuse me, but why should I give you my personal information? Are you an interviewer or what? ”

I heard someone chuckle at my back. I turned my head to see who it was and found the narcissist guy I met yesterday.

“What are you doing here? Are you stalking me? ”

“You’re delusional; napadaan lang ako rito,” he replied.

“Why are you laughing then? "Taas kilay’ng tanong ko.

“Because now you know what it feels like when a stranger asks for information about you, as if you are at fault and they are planning to interrogate you,” he sneered.

“You’re so disrespectful; isn’t it inappropriate to listen to someone's conversation? I doubted that manners weren’t taught in  pre-school, I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Coming from someone who interrupted me first and forced me to answer her questions about my personal information that is clearly invading my privacy.”

“Force is way too different from asking! I asked you to answer me; I didn’t force you! ” 

“Tsk, and now you’re trying to turn the table? Good luck with your interrogation, Miss," he replied, walking away.

I rolled my eyes and gave him a nonchalant look as my eyes followed him.

“I know something that you don’t know, and I bet you want to know.” My senses came back as the old man uttered those words.

Those words caught my attention.

"What is it is?"I curiously ask.

“Exchange, isang tanong at isang sagot kapalit ng isang tanong at isang sagot.”

Dealer or negotiator ba ang taong ’to? I’m worried; I don’t want to spill any of my personal information, but I’m dead curious as well. I think it couldn’t hurt to answer his questions; besides, I really want to know what the questions are that he wants to know.

“Okay, fine. Start now; I don’t want to waste my time.”

“How old are you? "He started

“17, ang dali naman. Sigurado ka na ba jan sa unang tanong mo? If yes, then it's my turn. Why are you looking at me like that? ”

“Just like what I’ve said, kakasabi ko lang, I want to ask you a few questions."

"Why do you want to ask me questions? I mean, why me? ”

“Ah, ah. One question exchange to one question, it is still my turn. Magtatanong muna ako bago mo makuha ang sagot dyan.”

I sigh heavily. "Okay, fine, ano pa bang tanong nyo? .”

“Kailan ka ipinanganak? ”

“July 20”

He nodded his head as he continued to jot down notes. I tried to read what he wrote in that notebook, but his handwriting was so messy that I could not make out any of the words.

“Now tell me, why are you asking me this question? Do you have any bad intentions? "Taas kilay’ng tanong ko.

“Wala, para ito sa ginagawa kong pagsusuri na ilang taon ko ng hindi natatapos. Ikaw, kamusta naman ang labing anim na taon mong pamumuhay dito sa mundo? "He asks as he continues to write.

“17, labing pito na ho, kakasabi ko lang na labing pitong-taong gulang na ako.” pagtama ko sa kanya, “At okay lang naman minsan may mga bagay akong nararanasan na hindi ko maintindihan, madalas akong naguguluhan sa maraming bagay o mga kaganapan."

“Naiintindihan kita,” tanging sambit nya.

There was sympathy in his voice, and it actually surprised me. He sounded like he understood everything about my life.

“What do you mean by that? At ano ho ba ang lugar na ’to? Why do I always sense something is off about this place and even the people here? "I curiously asked while roaming my eyes around.

He smiled so big that his crooked yellow teeth were showing. He’s so creepy.

“Kakaiba, kakaiba talaga ang lugar na ’to maging ang mga tao rito, katulad mo. Huling tanong, kumakain o mahilig ka ba sa gulay? ”

“What do you mean, Katulad Ko?"I’m not acting creepy like them; my behavior is well fixed.”

“Sagutin mo muna ang tanong ko.”

"Okay, fine, ayaw talaga malamangan eh. Oo, kumakain naman ako ng gulay pero hindi ako mahilig sa gulay, mas prefer ko ang meat, mapa-chicken, or pork  man.

The conversation ended from there.

I furrowed my brows as I walked away from the bench. It was such an odd question; I’m referring to the last one. I mean, what would eating meat have to do with his research?

Hindi nya na sinagot kong bakit nasabi nyang kakaiba ako tulad ng mga tao rito. Clearly, I’m way too different from them. I mean, umaakto at kumikilos naman ako ng no
unlike the people here, nakakatakot sila. I already want to go home; I can’t stay here longer.