8. Trust

Elysium awoke with light peeking through the fabric of her tent, meaning that the sun had risen and it was time to get up

     Elysium awoke with light peeking through the fabric of her tent, meaning that the sun had risen and it was time to get up. She slowly lifts herself from her bedroll, her hand reaching up to her sore neck, remembering the events of the night before. She smiles slightly and stands to start getting ready for the day.

     After dressing herself and tending to her basically healed wound, she leaves her tent to find that the rest of the party is still sleeping. She smiled and looked up to the cloudy sky, glad she had a little bit of the morning to enjoy herself. Walking over the riverbank, she noticed a figure lying in the grass.

     As she approached, she had her hand on her sword, ready to strike if it was an intruder. As she got closer, she realized it was none other than Astarion. He lay with his face up to the sun and a hand resting on his stomach. His eyes closed so he hadn't noticed her approach him. Elysium studied his features, finding that he was lying with an expression of discomfort, his fingers gripping his clothes as if his stomach were hurting him.

     "Astarion?" She spoke softly, hoping not to scare the man on the floor, and he opened his eyes, darting them towards the woman. He smiled slightly when he found it was Elysium and sat up with a slight grimace. The wood elf frowns at his actions and sits next to him, her eyes searching him as if looking for a wound. "Hey, little druid," Astarion says breathlessly as if he had just run a marathon.

     "Are you sure you're alright, vamps? You know you can trust me." Elysium states, placing a hand on the man's shoulder, and he tenses at the contact. He sighs and looks down to his lap, shaking his head in response to the woman's question. "I-I'm not sure." He says, and Elysium prompts him to lay back down.

     "May I?" She asks, gesturing to lift his shirt. Astarion smiles slightly and nods, glad to be asked for consent and allowing her hands to lift his shirt. "Let's see what's going on with you. Your skin is hot." Elysium observes, her hand grazing over his toned stomach. The man tenses up once more, and she gives him a look as if saying to trust her with her eyes.

     "Where does your stomach hurt, vamps?" She asks, her hand still grazing over his stomach. Astarion grips her hand and moves it to the side of his lower stomach. "Here." He says, and Elysium blushed at his sudden action, forcing herself to see his right side more. Once she does, she notices a large black and blue bruise covering his pale skin. Elysium's eyes widen at the sight, and she asks if he could move his body towards the left so she can examine the bruise more.

     "What the hells happened?" She asks him as her hand grazes over the bruise, his veins dark like the ones in her leg. "You-you didn't swallow any of that poison, did you?" She interrogates, and Astarion sheepishly looks to the side, not wanting to answer the druid's question.

     "It's possible. Before you woke up, your body attacked me after I took some of your blood, and I still had some on my fangs. I didn't want to think it was possible that some could have gone down my throat, but I wasn't sure." Astarion explains, all of his cockiness gone from his voice, and slight fear had replaced it. Elysium looked down at him, pursing her lips, again examining the bruise. "How would you explain the pain?"