Back To Prufrock?

"You really didn't have to drive me all the way back to Prufrock," Olivia Caliban insisted for the umpteenth time that day.

"Nonsense. I am a taxi driver. We drive people places. What else would I do?" Jaques insisted, also for the umpteenth time that day.

"At least you could let me pay you?"

"I don't make members of the V.F.D. pay for rides."

"This isn't even official V.F.D. business!"

"That is not the point."

"Fine, Jacques Snicket."

"Fine, Olivia Caliban."

Silence settled over the car, much like your aunt who eats too many pies settles on the comfiest chair in the house. Insistent and hard to lift.

It was Olivia who finally managed it.

"Thank you for driving me, Jacques."

"Any time."

The fat aunt of silence sat down once again. Even she, however, could not drown out the noisy sound of an old taxi driving down an old road.

Both Olivia and Jacques were happy when the long drive was over.

"Thank you again, Jacques Snicket," Olivia said, stepping out of the car.

She gently closed her door and went to the back to grab her suitcases. Jaques, surprisingly, did not offer to help. When she walked around the front however, he stopped her.

"Olivia, wait." He rolled down the window of the passenger's seat.

"Yes?" Olivia asked, sticking her head through the open window. She must have been blushing.

"Lean closer, Olivia Caliban."

Olivia did so.

"If you do get your job back at Prufrock Preparatory School, and this is the last time I see you, I just wanted to do this."

Jaques Snicket leaned towards Olivia Caliban and kissed her. On the lips. Both of them were blushing madly when they broke apart.

"This won't be the last time we see each other, Jacques."

"I know, Olivia. I just wanted to do that anyway."

Olivia was sure her whole face looked like it was in flames at that point, she was blushing so badly.

"Good bye for now, Jacques."

"Goodbye for now, Olivia."

Olivia Caliban turned her back on the small taxi and walked into the dismal building that called itself Prufrock Preparatory School.

Half an hour later, she was back.

"I can't believe they really did fire me!" she exclaimed. "Principal Nero told me that he didn't need a bookish nerd like me in his school, especially not one that took vacations whenever she sees fit. I mean, that part was fair, but still! With Mrs. Bass and the old gym coach gone, I don't even know how he'll run that school. If you can even call it a school! A school without is library is just not right."

Jaques looked at Olivia with eyes that were deep pools of sympathy.

"I am sorry, Olivia Caliban. Prufrock was a better school in my day."

"Are we really old enough to say stuff like, "back in my day,"?" Olivia wondered.

"We aren't until we are graying and married," Jaques said. "Oh. I am so sorry. I did not mean it like that."

"I don't want to be old enough to say stuff like, "back in my day," yet," Olivia answered, eyes twinkling. "But Olivia Snicket does sound nice."

"Perhaps eventually we could be old enough for that," Jacques agreed.

"Were you waiting for me to be fired?" Olivia asked, realizing that her taxi driver should have left earlier.

"I was waiting here in case you got fired?" Jacques suggested. "Where to now?"

"I could get a room at Hotel Denouement, until I find permanent lodging in the city."

"Back to the city it is."

The engine started up again and the pair drove away from the dismal academy.

"But, Olivia?"

"Yes?"

"You would be welcome to stay at my place."