Chapter Eight:

Within the hour Carols had been informed, calls were made and the five of them were on the plane to Curitiba.

Alice. Alice. Alice he mentally repeated for the hundredth time. Clayton was anxious, tapping his leg aggressively against the leather seats as he gripped the armrests, his knuckles turning white. He really wanted a cigarette, anxiety mixed with rage was coursing through his veins as he struggled to keep still.

For his own safety now, he was now fitted with a bulletproof vest over his shirt. Having spent years in the military, the vest didn't bother him at all - actually, it settled him and bought the memories of structure back into the fold. To calm the leftover nerves, Clayton focused on the tiny, turquoise gem on his pinky ring. He loved that he had a piece of Alice, her kindness was rubbing off on him and all he could imagine was her sage green eyes, - those stunning, unusual eyes.

"Clayton?" Claudia's voice called out over the video screen as all eyes turned to him. Clayton could feel his pulse slow. She was debriefing like the old days, he had to admit still he never really listened.

He turned his attention away from the robin blue stone, his posture softening as Claudia continued,

"The plan is in place. Don Luis has agreed to help. Frankly, Curitiba will be the safest place in the world with him around. I mean, you could drop a million reals in the centre square and no one will touch it"

That's great....his subconscious nervously purred as Claudia continued, "Alice will get the best medical care in the world when we get her back. Thermo imaging shows she's still in the compound with him and the three women. Arrest warrants have been issued."

All the air was sucked out of Clayton's lungs as he noticed Claudia hesitation,

"Clayton. She's still alive for now."

He was grateful for her as he glanced at the tv screen. But he had to admit that he was ready to burn the fucking whole city down to get her back.

"Ruth?" Claudia said to his cousin sitting next to him. Crossed legged and jittery.

"I'm sorry that he did this to you. Philip's time is up,"

"Ruth..."

Claudia paused

"Let go. Let him go"

Then he saw her. There was something about her that shifted. Ruth had been holding back for years. She was scared of him. Philip truly did a hard number on her, the years of abuse and now she was finally letting him go.

Fucking Daffodil his subconscious hissed

The screen when blank and Clayton forced his eyes shut for the rest of the flight, finally getting some sleep.

The compound was a solid concrete structure, one road in and one road out. Guard-post. Electric gates, barb wire. Clayton remembered the interior well from his younger days when he was a hired by Carlos and had to sneak in the local whores and his sisters' in without his suspicion. It's mostly overgrown now with trees and wild pigs but still accessible to those who are brave enough.

"Ok. Let's go" Don Luis announced, surrounded by his followers as Clayton stood next to him and Ruth, the latter crossed arm and blank faced. It was dusk when they arrived, the amber glow of the sun barely visible.

"I want Miss Alison alive. Do not hurt her. I'm sure Mr Clayton would not appreciate that. Kill the rest, no witnesses"

A few people shifted uncomfortably Clayton made note.

"Antonella. Leya. Go ahead. Flirt, toy with the guards. Be the lookout after you shoot the fuckers. We will drive in after the others," Don Luis called over to the women, both leaning against a motorcycle, old and busted.