the backstory

hi!!this is my first ever story so please don't be too mean😭.and before i write anything,i would like to clarify that none of the fanarts in this story/future stories belong to me. (unless I say so) there are also probably going to be a LOT of grammatical errors im sorry☹️☹️
"." speaking
'.' thinking inside of head

"Wheres mama and daddy?"young,worried aoi whispered.me and my older brother were hiding in the basement. "Shhh..i will check." akio said,suspiciously.  "Be careful please!" she helplessly mumbled,all she got was a caring smile in return.

You see,even though the whole town including her own parents didn't believe in them, both aoi and her brother believed in demons ever since a traumatised,hurt man in her village came telling everyone in the village about his horrible experience with them.

Aoi watched him as he climbed the last step on the wooden ladder,not knowing it would be the last time she would see him without blood on his body.He was her bestfriend.

There was a scream.

Aoi tried to rush out of the basement but it was locked. "AKIO!!" she shouted. "aoi.." a faint voice said. "Thank goodness you're alright!I thought that was your scream!" She said,relieved,as she heard the basement door being unlocked.

When it finally opened,she emerged from the basement and gave her ..brother.. the greatest hug ever and started crying. "Your alive!I got so scared!Please don't scare me like that again!"
She suddenly felt a sharp pain her legs and turned her head around just to be met with..

Her brothers half dead,bloody body on the floor  with his hand reaching out for aoi and his now dull eyes which used to be the prettiest shade of dark blue staring at her.

"Brother..." she looked back at what she had her arms around and it was..a demon.She jumped back on the leg which had a stab wound in it and fell on the floor next to her brother.

As the demon got closer she cried even more while her brother said his last words .. "I'll watch over you Aoi,i love you,more than anything,your big brother will always protect you.When you cry,I'll be there hugging you.Promise."he said as he took his last breath. "AKIO!PLEASE!COME BACK!I LOVE YOU TOO!I SWEAR I DO!THIS IS ALL SOME BAD DREAM!I'LL WAKE UP AND YOU'LL BE SLEEPING IN THE ROOM ACROSS ME!" she screamed at the top of her lungs with tears filling her beautiful blue eyes,hugging her already dead,older brother.

The demon was just about to finish off the devastated younger sister..but there was a slash sound.and then a thud.

Aoi opened her eyes to see the demons head on the ground and it's body withering away.She then looked up and saw the prettiest lady ever.

"Oh my gosh!Young girl,Im so sorry i came late!"
The girl with a butterfly haori apologised. "I promise we'll get your brother justice.First,I'll bandage that wound of yours." aoi sat there in disbelief.I mean,everything happened so quickly.

When she snapped out of her thoughts,her stab wound already had bandages over it and the Butterfly girl was looking at her "Im Kanae Kocho.I will bring you back to my estate okay?You will be protected there.I'm afraid your brother has already passed but you can take anything you want from her and say your goodbyes.We can leave whenever."

Aoi didn't say anything,took her brothers bracelet and a silver heart hairclip her parents gave her.She kissed her brother on the forehead and cheek and gave him one last hug and by the morning when she had created a grave for her dead parents (who she found outside the house)
and beloved brother and payed her respects.

Kanae and aoi finally arrived to the butterfly mansion and aoi met shinobu,and some of the other hashiras,like sanemi when kanae and him met up and giyuu,for a mission with Kanae and gyomei,when he was visiting. However whenever she sees giyuu she becomes quiet,as he looks a lot like her elder brother. She was very close with shinobu though,her and shinobu had this bond (like sisters) as they had the same personality.She also had been given two blue butterfly clips to put in her hair!

When a little girl named kanao came,it changed.

Kanao met sanemi,giyu and gyomei.nothing was really different.When she met aoi, it was awkward.Aoi wanted a sister and tried to play but kanao just kind of sat there.And then it also felt like to aoi that her and shinobu kind of drifted apart.Kanao and Shinobu started to spend more time,they had the same relationship aoi and shinobu once had.Kanae and aois relationship was still the same,close and smiley.but she still missed shinobu.

It got worse when the training came.Aoi hated it.She would be upset seeing while she was training,kanao was with shinobu having fun.When she came back to final selection she told everyone she didn't want to be a demonslayer.everyone was thankfully very remorseful and shinobu invited her into the medical field.

When kanae died and shinobu changed her personality,aoi tried her best to stay strong and kept to herself all the time.didn't open up at all.didnt have any friends.didn't get crushes as they were a "waste of time" and kept her brothers bracelet on all of the time and the hairclip beside her bed.

When kanao went to final selection and came back alive,deciding to stay in the demonslayer corps,aoi was so thankful and hugged kanao.kanao didnt hug back,as she felt confused on what to do because aoi and her were never close,of course aoi always had tried shown her sister love to kanao but kanao didnt know how to return it and aoi had never done something like this before.

"I'm sorry kanao!" aoi quickly apologised. 'Oh my gosh I totally feel like an idiot.' aoi thought. "sayonara." kanao said,and hurried away. "Aoi san!!" kiyo yelled "Can you please help us with the laundry?" . "Of course kiyo,I'm right behind you." Aoi responded,as she followed kiyo.

And that's how it was for the next few years.