[ 04 ] one of us is scared

CHAPTER FOURone of us is scared

CHAPTER FOUR
one of us is scared

*•°

SOMEHOW, THE GROUP RUNS FOR MOST OF THE TREK BACK TO THE DROP SITE. Nadine guesses it's the adrenaline, pushing them to move as fast as they can for as long as they can, and it only runs out when they are forced to take a break due to Octavia's injury. The scratches on her thigh begin aching after being forced to run, but even then, the moment of rest is cut short when Nadine and Green each grab one of Octavia's arms and wrap them over their own shoulders, only to continue their journey back right away.

However, Nadine proves to be a not so efficient support beam, for she is forced to swiftly release the girl two times, once when she focuses on the memory of the sight of Jasper's impalement for too long and barely even manages to face away from Octavia to throw up, and once more when both the ingrained view and the physical strain have her dry-heave not too far from their ship. No one dares utter a word. They wait for Nadine to recover, silently watching as her fingers blindly scratch at the bark of a tree she uses for support, and then straightens up, thumbs dabbing at stray tears, forced out by the empty gagging. Without a word, she stalks back up to her friend's sister and props her arm around herself.

Nadine can hear the obnoxious cheering already. Almost two days have passed, but the celebrations are yet to cease, but the rhythmic wailing of the crowd seems too situational; the way it comes and goes in waves sounds more like a reaction to something that the entire choir seems to be watching take place. The moment they walk through the last front of bushes and the delinquents come into view, Nadine understands why it seemed that way.

There's a thick crowd gathered around Jaha and his one arch-enemy, who has finally been subdued, for the Chancellor's son holds him firmly against himself with a makeshift knife pressed to the neck of the fair-skinned delinquent. Nadine's somewhat impressed, though a murder would not be an ideal start to life on Earth, especially after Jasper's death. Granted, they did hear him scream when they were fleeing the scene, but, when Nadine was forced to follow them right back in fear of being left alone in the forest, they'd realized that someone already took him. There is no way he's still alive, though — the spear went right through his chest.

Nadine's stomach dangerously churns again. She swallows.

"Wells!" Griffin yells, running down the last few feet between them, "Let him go!"

Jaha harshly shoves him to the ground, but his opponent refuses to eat dirt, hastily jumping back up on his feet. Blake leaps in front of him and grabs him by the shoulders, stopping him effortlessly, "Hey! Enough, Murphy."

At last, he turns to look at his sister and his friend, alarm immediately growing once he sees the former being held up, "Octavia! Are you alright?"

He takes her off Nadine and Green's arms, twisting around and placing her down on a much smoother surface, rather than the root-filled hill. She grunts out a soft yeah. Nadine rolls her shoulder as the eldest Blake turns to Griffin, "Where's the food?"