[ 02 ] had it coming

CHAPTER TWOhad it coming

CHAPTER TWO
had it coming

*•°

BELLAMY INSPECTS NADINE'S KNUCKLES WITH A DEEP FROWN. They're red, aching, but probably not broken. Nadine stares straight ahead over his shoulder blankly until he gently lowers her hand back to her side.

''That could've ended badly, Nadine,'' he says, tone overly motherly.

''Yeah, yeah, sure,'' the engineer shakes out her tingling fingers.

Octavia, however, nudges Nadine with a victorious smirk, ''I think that was fun. Put that smug idiot right in his place.''

''I fully doubt that, but that felt oddly therapeutic,'' the older woman lies. It felt like nothing except just a little more heartache that materialized in her fist this time. The only satisfactory thing about her attack is the growing bruise on the bridge of Hemingway's nose.

''Well, if you ask me, I think that was kinda hot,'' the leader of Parker's little posse shows beside the trio, smugly smirking, ''I'm John Murphy. You're Nadine, right?''

''That's the thing, I didn't ask,'' the engineer side-eyes Murphy, ''Isn't he your little buddy or something?''

''Or something. What, am I not allowed to compliment a pretty girl on her right hook?'' The boy lifts his eyebrows challengingly. Bellamy eyes him carefully. Octavia's grin grows.

''In that case, thanks. Wanna feel it, too?'' Nadine mutters sarcastically and walks off, casting one last hateful glance at Parker, who now stands a safe distance away, pinching his nose to stop the bleeding. When the Blakes follow Nadine, Murphy is left alone, chewing on the inside of his cheek and stalking back to his group, curious.

''Girl, he's into you,'' Octavia stresses, throwing her head over her shoulder to watch the boy depart with a grin. Nadine sighs. Teenagers.

''O,'' Bellamy warns sternly – again.

''What?'' She wonders genuinely.

''It's whatever, Blake,'' Nadine dismisses, ''I don't care, anyway. I'm not about to hook up with some dude named John.''

Octavia snickers, before her ears perk up – Nadine follows her line of sight and sees her watching the so-called Spacewalker from earlier, ''Oh, hello.''

''Octavia!'' Bellamy whispers yet another warning. Nadine wonders how gone she'd be if she could take a drink for every time he has scolded his sister in the past twenty minutes. Nevertheless, when he runs after his sister, Nadine has no choice but to follow.

''Four of us! Can we go now?'' She notices Octavia's eye candy grab two other guys and shove them into the little circle that consists of them, Griffin and Jaha Junior. Nadine recognizes Monty Green, the dude that supplied Hemingway with weed occasionally, at least until they got locked up. They're, like, friends or something. They must all be heading to the aforementioned Mount Weather.