[ 06 ] slay your demons

CHAPTER SIXslay your demons

CHAPTER SIX
slay your demons

*•°

"NADINE, SHOW HIM AGAIN."

With an agitated tsk, Nadine uncrosses her arms and straightens up, all but ripping Murphy's makeshift knife out of his hand. She reels back her arm and throws it. It pierces the middle of a tree with a hollow thunk and she goes to retrieve it.

"Yeah, she can do it, 'cause she's done it before," Murphy waves it off, calculating eyes following her fingers and the way she effortlessly spins the blade in her hand, before dropping it into the boy's open palm.

"Isn't that the point of learning?" Nadine asks with a roll of her eyes, "Someone shows you how it's done and you try to replicate it."

"Alright, alright, Jeez. I'll get it," Murphy defensively lifts his hands and prepares to throw it once again. Right as the tool zaps through the air, Jasper moans in pain in the distance. He is quick to blame his yet another failed attempt on the wounded boy. "It's that damn kid, alright, he's messing with my head."

Bellamy steps up beside the two and adjusts his grip onto his hatchet, "He's not gonna last much longer. Think of a new excuse."

And it lands perfectly in the middle of the trunk. "That's how it's done."

"We searched half a mile in all directions, no signs of Trina or Pascal," a new voice appears in the vicinity; it's Atom, who was in charge of the search party for the two missing kids. They left camp the night Jasper was brought back and neither of them have been seen since.

"Visit your special tree while you were out there?" Murphy brushes past him with a smirk. Atom made the mistake of disobeying Bellamy and made out with his sister at a butterfly forest, maybe partially due to Nadine's fault, which got him the weirdest punishment the woman has ever heard of; the eldest Blake strung him up to a tree by his hands.

He glares at Murphy, "He took his punishment, let it go."

"Could be Grounders," Atom notes worriedly, bringing the conversation back to its initial topic.

"Yeah, or they could be in pound-town," shrugs Murphy on his way back toward the group after retrieving his knife, situating himself beside Nadine and landing a hand over her ass as he smirks down at her, "Lots of that going around recently."

"Ew," is all Nadine mumbles.

Atom ignores the comment, turning back toward the leader, "Look, Bellamy, people are scared, and that dying kid? He's not helping the morale around here."

"Morale will go up when I find them more food," he simply states.

"And what do we say when they ask about Trina and Pascal?"

"Now? Nothing. It's possible they're just lost," offers Bellamy. When Nadine scoffs, he throws her a questioning glance.

"Yeah, that or they're both speared to some tree," the engineer shakes her head, a cold stare scanning the boys present, "None of you saw what happened to Jasper, I did. The Grounders are watching us. I don't doubt that they can pick us off one by one. And they do it quickly and unnoticeably."