3

Monday morning hit Jennie like a metaphorical anvil. It was a dire fate, compared to movie night just a few evenings ago, with Nayeon in her lap, fingers roaming ever so gently under the hem of her shirt. 

Monday had its merits as well. Jennie had been waiting to hear from her coach all off-season about the distinct possibility of scouts coming from the most prestigious institutions to see her play.

She wanted the scholarship more than she'd ever wanted anything in her life. It wasn't a fiscal issue, Jennie's family could afford to send her to college twelve times over if she were so inclined. 

It was the principle of the matter. 

Jennie's parents never really paid enough attention to her or Jae. Jennie was the one who knew about Jae's insecurities, like his height, or his anxiety when it came to math. 

Her parents were rapidly becoming a vacancy in her heart. But Jennie knew she could change that. 

She could get their attention, even if they were continents away, vast oceans of apologies and poorly timed Skype calls with the "best intentions of putting food on the table and clothes on Jennie's back" as Minzy had so staunchly defended them.

The scholarship was a game changer. It meant she'd finally have concrete evidence that she'd mastered something.

It meant she could show her parents that she'd thrived under their teachings. It meant that she'd finally be good enough for them and that they could come home.

If not for her benefit, then for Jae's.

So Jennie had risen with her game face on, donning her tight-fitting leggings and a black shirt to match, knowing she'd end up working out with the team before the day was done. 

She brushed her locks, with soft, rolling wavy texture, parting it over to the side like she always did.

She could feel it within her. Today was the day.

***

Jennie heard the bell ring and widened her eyes. She thought she had time to leisurely walk to class.

Jennie hustled, making her way to the main entrance, stopping as she felt a hand on her shoulder. 

She whipped around, eyes taking in the familiar face of Henry Lau, the head football coach who had, essentially, what was a bit of an (athletic) obsession with Jennie.

"Ms. Kim." He cleared his throat. "My office, for a moment?"

Jennie looked surprised. "I ..actually have class now." She admitted, her voice not giving anything away.

Henry waved his hand in the air nonchalantly, and Jennie knew the kind of authority he carried. "I have to teach a class as well. It'll only be a moment. I write you a note."

Jennie nodded slowly, following him, eyeing the way he looked so threatening in his crisp shirts and suit jackets like he owned the place.

She was never fearful of him, like the other students. The simple fact of the matter was: that Henry doted on her. 

He thought she was the greatest player to ever set foot in YG High, and he wanted to be the one to harness her potential and showcase her abilities to the country.

"Who's your first teacher?" Henry asked, making his way along the sidewalk, following the green lawn of the main entrance, towards the administration building.

Jennie thought for a moment, the name escaping her for a second. She'd even been introduced in that class. 

All she could remember was Lisa Manoban. The raven-haired, with the intense doe gaze and the soft hands. The one who'd saved her brother from what certainly would have been a bleak outcome.