5

"Stretch until you feel something!" Mr. Henry bellowed out at his prized varsity team, actually deciding to coach for once instead of letting Jennie do the heavy lifting.

They were preparing for what looked to be a, and Jennie would never admit this aloud, challenging opener against their biggest district rival, The Black Label.

Mr. Henry knew that, in order to get Jennie on the radar, the team couldn't afford to lose. That was why he was pushing them so intensively. Jennie didn't mind, she thrived under pressure.

She thrived on hatred, too. That was certainly the case with Label's players, particularly the human embodiment of every vile force of evil known to girl, Jeon Somi: a three-year rivalry with Somi.

Jennie knew Somi was just as strong of a player in terms of fire, raw want, and ability but she was a miserable excuse of a human being. 

So it was with a burning fury that Jennie embarked on her endurance run, faster and more efficiently than her heavier counterparts, with the exception of Jisoo, who was hanging back to talk to Bogum.

She didn't look up from the sponge-like turf of the track until she saw a shadow eclipsing her own. 

Her feline eyes shot up to find Jung Jaewon, Jisoo's (now-ex) partner, hardly breaking a sweat as he ran beside her, not trying to overtake the captain.

"Jaewon." She grunted, and he had the nerve to smile at her, wholly and genuinely.

"Captain." He responded as they rounded the corner.

"Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" Jennie asked. She saw Jaweon's eyes flicker towards Mr. Henry, who stood with his hands on his hips, watching his players throughout their hour of conditioning.

"We're not supposed to-"

"I'm the captain, remember?" Jennie offered him a small smirk. "Exemptions and all that."

Jaewon grinned, shaking his head. "What can I do for you, then?"

"A bit about yourself." Jennie responded. "Like to know about my team. For instance, I heard Bogum calling you a thief. Why?"

Jaweon smirked. "I'm good at forcing turnovers."

Jennie smirked back, lifting a brow. "Ah, you steal. I get it."

"So..." Jaewon heaved a little, surprised that Jennie showed no signs of wear. "What was that about your girlfriend at the class?"

Jennie's jaw set. "You're her partner in English now since I was so generously offered Lisa Manoban." She rolled her eyes.

"Lisa's great." Jaewon smiled, but immediately wiped it off when he felt Jennie's virid gaze boring into his very soul.

"Or not."

"You're friends with Manoban?" Jennie asked, guardedly.

"Well, I... yeah, kind of." Jung nodded. "We're part of the same friend group."

"So you're an athlete and a..." Jennie's lip curled in disdain. "delinquent."

"Well, I'm trying, but Xiumin won't notice me." He sighed with a shrug, puffing a little to keep up with Jennie.

Jennie froze, Jaewon's body slamming into hers, yet barely moving her an inch. "What?" She hissed. 

Jaewon's eyes widened. "What?" He asked in surprise. "You know him?"

Jennie visibly sighed in relief, and her shoulders relaxed as she loosened her grip on his shirt. Her cheeks reddened.

"My apologies, I-"