Chapter 8

Sister-in-law by chance, friends by choice. — Unknown

The chirping of birds and the crowing of cocks stirred Zainab from sleep the next day. She rolled on her side and released a long moan. Her eyes slowly opened and she was greeted by the sun rays streaming into the room. She withheld a yawn and sat up. As expected, the spot beside her was empty.  

She looked at the clock and surprise shot through her. It was the first time she had missed her 7 AM alarm.  She jumped out of bed and rushed into the bathroom after taking some clothes from her suitcase. 

Several minutes later, she returned to the room dressed in a magenta pleated skirt and a white shirt with a v-neckline.  Her hair was wrapped in a white turban. After wearing her earrings and bracelet,  she left the room. 

As she reached the end of the stairs, her brows wrinkled at the silence that welcomed her. She leaned forward and strained her ears until she heard a faint sound of people talking. With stealthy steps, she traced the sound to a huge mahogany door with ornate carvings. 

She inhaled sharply,  gave a quick knock, and pushed the door open. An elegant dining area greeted her. The Yakubu family was seated around a long polished table situated at the centre of the room with a dazzling chandelier hanging over it.  

Her legs carried her further into the room and she greeted everyone. "Good morning, everyone." She smiled. 

Everyone around the table murmured a greeting. Her eyes connected with Binta's face and her stomach flipped as Binta stared at her with pursed lips

"You haven't read the book I gave you. Otherwise, you would have known that we have breakfast at 7 AM."

Zainab's face warmed. "I apologize for being late. I missed my alarm."

"It's fine." She waved her off. "You will be excused since you are new. However, don't let it be repeated."

"Yes, ma'am." Zainab produced a smile. 

"Have your seat." Binta gestured to the empty seat beside Danladi. 

It took all Zainab's willpower to withhold a groan.  She slid into the chair and her eyes landed on the menu in front of her.

"Choose what you would like to have and ring the bell in front of you to alert one of the maids," Binta instructed her. 

Zainab swallowed and nodded her head. Bewilderment mixed with amazement courses through her as her eyes roamed over the page of the menu.  Finally, she decided on some waffles and honey. 

 Moments after placing her order, a plate of waffles covered in honey was placed in front of her.  The tantalizing appearance of the food caused her stomach to rumble. Her cheeks warmed in embarrassment as Danladi snorted.  

"I am sure you haven't seen something so delicious before," he muttered. 

Zainab ground her teeth and tossed him a glare. "My family might not be as rich as yours but I can assure you that we never lacked anything." 

"That's debatable," he remarked. "But I am not ready to get into that." He turned away from her. 

Fury bubbled within Zainab and her grip on her fork tightened. However,  to avoid the attention of others, she forced her attention back to her food. The aroma of warm vanilla enveloped her senses and she almost let out a moan.  

Each bite brought a myriad of flavours. The sweetness of the honey enhanced the hints of cinnamon and caramelized sugar. After washing everything down with a chilled glass of juice, she picked up her plate and headed to the kitchen. 

Awe washed over her as she crossed over the threshold of the state-of-the-art kitchen. Top-of-the-line appliances filled the kitchen. A large island covered with granite countertop was stationed in the middle of the kitchen. 

One of the maids washing dishes at the sink turned around and welcomed Zainab with a smile. "Good morning,  ma'am. Please let me have that." She reached out for Zainab's plate. 

Zainab frowned.  "Uh…I can wash it myself."

"That won't be necessary, ma'am. It's my duty this morning to see to the dirty plates."

Zainab puffed out a resigned sigh and handed her plate to the maid. "Thank you."

"My pleasure." The maid sent her another smile. 

With disappointment welling within her, she ambled out of the kitchen. The presence of Binta and Ralkiah at the end of the corridor caused her to slow her steps. 

She sent them a kind smile as she stopped in front of them.  

A thoughtful expression crossed Binta's face before she faced Zainab.  "Rekiah will be taking you on a tour around the house. I would have shown you around but I have an appointment with my masseuse. So you guys should have fun." She sent them a quick smile and strutted away.  

Zainab and Rakiah turned to face each other as silence descended on them.  Zainab sent Rakiah a smile as she waited for her to proceed. 

Rakiah heaved a sigh and shook her head. "I'm not much of a tour guide but I will do my best." 

Zainab giggled. "And I am not much of a tourist but I will do my best."

Rakiah smiled. "Since we have reached an agreement,  I guess we should be on our way."

Zainab nodded and fell into step beside her.  They spent the next several minutes traversing down the hallways of the house.  The grandeur of the house mesmerized Zainab.  

The mansion boasted ten bedrooms and lavish bathrooms. The bedroom floors were covered in plush carpets in various hues.  They stopped by the home theatre where the family hosted movie nights.  The theatre was complete with plush seating and a huge projector screen. 

Masterpieces from renowned artists hung on the walls around the house.  Every room boasted sound systems and automated window blinds causing convenience to be easily accessible.

Their tour ended in the place Zainab fell in love with. The Yakubu Private Library. Zainab's eyes widened with awe as they roamed around the room. The library was lined with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Zainab could see herself curled up writing or studying in one of the leather armchairs. 

The smile on Zainab's lips couldn't be wiped. 

"My legs are beginning to ache. I believe we can explore outside some other time," Rekiah puffed out a breath. 

"I agree," Zainab said. "I would like to have a glass of water."

The ladies departed from the library and headed in the direction of the living room. Surprise washed over Zainab as they arrived at the living room and found the men seated on the couch.  

Zainab's eyes subconsciously darted to Danladi and they scowled at each other before quickly looking away. 

A slight smile appeared on Danladi's father's face. "You guys came at the right time.  I have an announcement to make."

Zainab's stomach squeezed in nervousness mingled with fright.  She moved closer with bated breath.  

Danladi's father's smile widened. "I just wanted to inform you all that to honor the union of Danladi and Zainab we will be hosting a reception party in two days." 

Zainab's breath caught and dread filled her.  

                          ★★★★

Woohoo, we are going to have a party!

Aren't you excited? Because I am😂

Anyways, do you think Zainab has found a friend in Rakiah?

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the chapter in general.

Don't hold back. XD

Until next time, keep smiling 😁