Chapter 13

I've met the most interesting people while flying or on a boat. — Hedy Lamarr

Acting turned out to be tougher than Zainab imagined.  Her eyes drifted to Danladi's hold on her hand.  To the world, they looked like a couple taking a walk but they were ignorant of the tension bubbling within them.  

The cool breeze and wet sand that tickled Zainab's feet couldn't ease her anxiety.

"If you guys go around with a scowl then everyone will know something is wrong," Bayo said from over his shoulder. 

Danladi hissed. "It's hard to smile under such circumstances." 

Bayo scoffed. "She's your wife and not your arch-enemy."

"Wife that was forced on me," Danladi muttered under his breath,  loud enough for Zainab to hear.  

Zainab's lips tightened and her muscles tensed.  Conflicting emotions surged through her.  Sadness that Danladi saw her as a burden and happiness that he was also displeased at their current situation. 

The dock came into view.  Boats of different colours and sizes were lined up close to the seaside.  

Zainab's eyes drifted to the group waiting beside one of the boats. 

"Those are the other passengers," Bayo announced as they drew closer.  

Zainab forced out a smile as they reached the group. 

"Good morning, guys," Bayo greeted and pointed to Danladi and Zainab. "This is Mr. Danladi Yakubu and Mrs. Zainab Yakubu. Zainab and Danladi, This is Mr. Musa Mustafa and Mrs. Hadiza Mustafa." He pointed to the couple on the right. 

Zainab looked at them and surprise filled her. Hadiza looked to be a few years older than her and Mustafa's gray hair and wrinkled face spoke about their age difference. Interest bubbled within Zainab and she couldn't help but wonder what their story was.  

Bayo's voice broke her ponderings.  "And this is Mr. Dele Manuel and Mrs. Bola Manuel." 

Zainab's eyes drifted to them and they sent them a wide smile.  "It's so nice to meet you guys.  Our trip is going to be more fun," Bola gushed with dancing eyes.  

Her smile was so infectious that for the first time that morning, a genuine smile graced Zainab's lips.  

"Well, since the introductions have been done, I believe we can start our trip. But first, let's go over some important things." Bayo listed out various rules and safety tips. 

After that, the boat was pushed to the edge of the water and they climbed into the boat one by one. Zainab's breath hitched as Danladi filled the spot next to her. His signature woody fragrance tickled her nose.  Nervous butterflies fluttered in her stomach and she held her breath as the engine of the boat roared to life and the boat drifted further into the water. 

The gentle sway of the boat made Zainab relax and her eyes rose to meet a breathtaking view. She was struck by an overwhelming sense of awe at the beauty spread in front of her.  

The surface of the water stretched out in all directions dotted with sparkles of sunlight. In the distance, seabirds swooped. A tranquil smile played on Zainab's lips.  At that moment, she forgot her strained marriage and shattered dreams. Her eyes flickered close and she enjoyed the rocking of the boat beneath her. The cool breeze caressed her skin and her smile widened.  

Her eyes peeled open and her serenity shattered as a high wave rose and jolted the boat. A scream left her lips as the boat swerved and she lost her balance and swayed to the side. Panic seized her and she let out a strangled cry.  Her hands flailed as she struggled to prevent herself from toppling into the water.