Chapter One: The Cold Ones

Selene Lennox POV:

I HAD ARRIVED IN ALASKA TRHEE WEEKS AGO, AND STILL NO PROGRESS. I left the Salvatore school so I wouldn't have to worry about studies, hobbies and everything else. I needed time and space alone to continue searching for information about my biological family history.

I wasn't going to give up!

I need to know everything that happened. Who were my parents, what did they look like...

I wanted to find out if they abandoned me by choice, if they were forced, or if they were even dead. I needed to know where my origins are from, who I really was. My entire being needed answers, or else I would never live and follow my path.

Finally, I had reached the forest, a little far from the city where I was staying. I still walked a few minutes, to go deeper into the forest, with the intention of no one getting in my way or even stopping me, or until I realized what I was doing. If that happened there would be problems.

I took off the backpack I had on my back and placed it on the ground, leaning against a tree with a large trunk. I started removing everything I would need. I put a blanket on the slightly wet ground, not wanting to get my other belongings or even my clothes dirty. Then I still added a map; a pot with sand inside; and finally, the medallion that I had around my neck.

I was hoping that the location spell I was going to do would work.

Mr.Saltzman always gave me the same answer every time I asked:

"Selene, you appeared at the door of the Salvatore Institute, even when my former friend and owner, Stefan Salvatore, still lived here. You came were inside a slightly worn basket, hidden among the white blanket. All you had was a small piece of paper stating your name, and a medallion around your thin, tiny neck, the same as never take it off your chest."

If I had been found with that locket, there was a possibility that it belonged to someone in the family who abandoned me. Even if it weren't, could give me some insight or the location of the old owner of the same. And this unknown person could know about my origins.

The medallion had a long silver thread and a green stone; emerald color. With more design in silver, the stone seemed to be protected by it. Of course, this was what the child I was used to think. I placed it next to the map, and spread the sand. I closed my eyes, concentrating and began to say the incantation:

"Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas sanguinem."

Suddenly I have a vision. From the silhouette it was a woman. She is always moving, not letting me see her face; just her back. She had long, dark brown hair, and was tall and thin. She seemed to be irritated, going to a nearby table and taking all the papers there with her hands; spreading them on the floor, and walking back and forth again. For a moment she stopped, quickly going to a shelf full of books, and taking one out, leafing through it.