Two

"Answer the damn phone" this Valderrama dude says, as he sits himself down in the lobby, with that Julia girl playing with her dolls on the floor.

"Don't tell me what to do" I reply, as I finish with what I was doing on the computer and answer the phone.

"White Flower Hotel, good morning, how may I help you?" I say my stupid 'professional' sentence I always have to say when I answer the phone.

"Good morning. I'd like to make reservations"

"Sure"

"I'm gonna need two rooms. Preferably next to each other. How many beds are in a room?"

"Most have one. Like a double bed, I mean, for like two people" I say, as I'm still not sure if it's actually called a double bed, or if I just made that up, "There are a few with two separate beds and there are two rooms with three beds. But, if you need an extra, we can add one bed in a room"

"Oh, okay, well, I'll have to see how we're gonna arrange that, but we're with five people, and we would like to have our rooms next to each other, so will one with three beds and one with two be available?"

"Two as in a double bed, or two separate?"

"Double bed"

"The rooms next to each other?"

"Yes, please"

"When will you be coming and how long will you staying?"

"Coming next week, Monday. For six days"

"Okay, let me check" I mumble, as I look if both rooms will be available and no one has booked them already.

"Is it okay if there's one room in between?" I ask, seeing that that room will not be available before Monday.

"Preferably not, but if that's the case, it'll have to do"

"I'll see if maybe it will be possible, but as it is now, the room next to the three beds, will not be empty by Monday, so I'll give you the room next to it. If that person leaves before, you'll get the room"

"Okay, thank you"

"What's the name?"

"Clifford"

"Okay. Thank you for calling. See you on Monday" I try to sound professional, in case the boss comes walking in.
You never know, so always be prepared. I've learnt that now, in the years I've worked here.

"Thank you" the line goes dead.

"You weren't that friendly when we came in" Valderrama dude decided to say.

"Mind your own business"

"Oh, miss sassy is back" he mumbles.

I'm telling you, I've never been so annoyed with anyone before.
Today is just a bad day and he just had to come in today. Just to make everything worse.

"So, how long have you been working here?" he asks.

"Look, I have no idea who you are and what you want. I'm here to work and you're a guest. If you're gonna kill your time in the lobby, do it in silence" I put emphasis on the word silence.

"I just thought receptionists are meant to be friendly, you know? To make it pleasant for the people staying here"

"Most people who stay here, don't actually stay here. They only sleep here. The rest of their day is spent outside of this building. I don't talk to them, unless they're checking in or out. If you decide to talk to me, just for the talking, I do not have to be friendly"