Chapter 4

The week that it took to get to Azeal was an uncomfortable and long journey. They only had seven horses in total. The injured and elderly had to be rotated on who was riding in saddles and who would have to suffer through walking; the dead had started to stink too badly after the first two days for anyone to want to ride on a cart. The able bodied took turns carrying the few children that were unable to walk for long periods. Frost had made such a fuss on the third morning about pulling a cart that they decided to change her out with another sturdy horse and dedicate her to the injured adults that could ride as she was too temperamental with riders that seemed even the slightest bit afraid of her.

The carts that held the dead stayed at the center of camp at night. It was an unpleasant experience to be sure, but the corpses were attracting animals and if they weren't near the living they would be fed on by vultures and scavengers alike. So, when it was time to sleep, they covered their noses and ignored the howling that seemed to be creeping closer every night.

When the moons waning crescents finally fell into new moons and the only light was the fire, everyone slept closer together regardless of the stench. The tension didn't even ease when they all fell asleep, only when the sun rose, and they could see any potential threat descending on them from above did everyone's shoulders lighten.

Only one man had a bow, Liam's had been destroyed in the tavern fire. The man was decent with it, but one man with a bow wasn't enough to feed the entire camp. So, under Liam's guidance and careful eye Vipin set snares with what little supplies they had at night and would check them in the morning. Some hauls were better than others, many times they found half eaten rabbits, but it was better that the predators ate the food from their snares than trying to wander into their camp.

Simon was only able to redress Liam's bandages once during their trip, not having enough medical supplies to go around. He did what he could, but they could tell infection was starting to settle beneath his skin. Their best hope was to get him to the shaman in Azeal.

Simon was able to save five of his hundred ravens and had allowed Liam and Vipin to use two of them while he used another. Liam told Vipin what to write to Alexander's father Ronald Penton and told him about his son's passing telling him that they were taking his body to Azeal. Vipin wrote to the king to tell him they needed to speak with him urgently, that his son was injured but alive and where they were traveling for safety. Simon sent the third raven to Azeal to inform Marcus Tallis of their upcoming arrival and the refugees they had in tow.

When they finally made it to the gates outside of the Azeal keep Liam was leaning heavily against Toby's shoulder, the infection was starting to take its toll and fever starting to set in. The gates opened and the refugees slowly made their way into the square greeted by guards. They had their hands firmly placed on their swords eyeing the crowd cautiously. The people were too tired to care, their stomachs rumbling and feet barely shuffling forward enough to make room for those behind them.

At the front of the group Sebastian stood next to Simon, behind them were Liam and Vipin at Simon's request. No one had raised more than a nod to Liam the entire week who introduced himself as Richard to the group and nothing had to be said since. Even so Vipin had watched Liam carefully, just as she did now. He caught her gaze and smiled softly trying to reassure her.

The doors of the keep opened and two dark haired men with bright blue eyes made their way into the square with them.

"Lord Terff," the shorter one, Marcus, nodded his head to the boy. He was average in stature; his features rounder and he had grown to be heavier in the years since Liam and Vipin had seen him last.

"We received your raven and have made accommodations for you to stay in the keep," the taller one added. Jackson was above average in height but small in frame, his features were sharp, and his dark beard was patchy on the sides. He scanned the crowd behind the little lord and Vipin looked at the ground the hood of her cloak covering her face.