Twenty • Three

You stood in the room that was once filled with water. All entrances were sealed shut, which left you, Sigma, and Dazai shut up in the dark enclosed room, which was once a hallway. It had only been around five minutes since you three had escaped Fyodor's attempt to drown all three of you. You personally hoped that Gogol would suddenly show up to save all of you from certain doom. However, as time passed, your hopes shrank. You were sitting down against the wall nearest the room entrance that you had entered through, as though if you sat there, the door would somehow open and release you all into the prison walls beyond. Sigma was pacing back and forth in the middle of the room, and Dazai stood silently, his head lowered. Your gaze lingered on him for all, but several seconds before  the walls around, you shook violently twice before pausing, the dark room suddenly illuminated by the flash of red warning lights. Sigma gasped and stumbled, managing to catch himself before he fell. Even Dazai seemed startled, as his head had snapped up quickly and was now glancing around the room.

  "Breach in section 34 found, initiating protocol." The walls around you announced, the floor below you vibrated.

  "Y/N!" Your eyes snapped in the direction of Dazai, whose eyes were wide. With another violent shudder, the room around you seemed to fall. You were lifted into the air and off the floor. Yelping in surprise, you turned your head toward Dazai and Sigma, both mirroring your expression. The scraping of metal against metal filled your ears as the room you were in continued to fall like an elevator that's lost control. You glanced around desperately, looking for something that might help you all survive.

  "Dazai! We are going to fall to our deaths if we can't escape!" You heard Sigma yell. He was paler than usual, and his were wide with fear and desperation. Dazai shook his head then, before you could blink, was against the wall, his hands pressed against Sigma's back.

   "I promised to get you out alive, and that's what I'm going to do!" He gasped, pushing Sigma forward with all his might so that he fell back onto the floor. Sigma's body flew forward faster than you had expected and toward the cracked door that had refused to open any further than at least five feet wide. As Sigma neared the entrance, which was barely wide enough, he reached out, grabbing onto the back of your shirt, yanking you off your feet. The both of you collapsed on the other side of the cracked door and the room where you once stood.

   "Help save the world, okay?" The brunette smiled kindly into your e/c eyes. Eyes wide, you and Sigma watched as Dazai and the room continued to fall into the unknown. Sigma quickly jumped to his feet, reaching out for the now gaping entrance, which led to emptiness.

   "NO!" You sat silently, staring into the area where Dazai had once lay but was now but an empty hole. Words seemed impossible to utter as you forced yourself to stand, all of your muscles threatening to give out. Your head swam with the events of the past hour, your mind struggling to wrap around the fact that Dazai was gone.

  "Help save the world, okay?" Dazai's last words rang bells within your ears. It was his dying wish, if he was actually dead. He couldn't be, right? There was no way. The man that your boss had spoken so highly about. Ango had said many things about Dazai in front of you or others. It was usually good things but even if Ango said something about Dazai that irritated him, he still smiled widely and laughed as if his irritation meant nothing toward him. It was confusing. How could you learn to trust someone who had done such things. You couldn't understand it.

...

   You stood before your Boss's office door, a file clutched tightly to your chest. Your brain seemed to stop working with the amount of anxiety you were feeling. You were nervous. This was Ango Sakaguchi, agent of the Special Operations Division. He had a reputation most officers couldn't even come close to obtaining. Though he seemed to be kind, at least he did seven years ago.
  Shaking off the anxious thoughts, you reached for the handle, hesitantly pushing open the door. The room was dimly lit and quite neat. The walls were covered with book shelves and strange artifacts. In the center of the room, in front of a large window, which peered out into the misty, rainy weather. Rain pounded against the window as you stepped inside the office. It was warmer than the hallway and definitely gave of a kinder look than most places within the building. Behind the polished desk sat a black leather chair, which sat faced away from the door and instead toward the window.