3 - Response to Invitation

Ozan got straight to the point as soon as the door closed. "Are you crazy? Think about it, we'll have special abilities! You can't close those doors when a life beyond our dreams is waiting for us." He said, sitting on chair. "We are talking about a new world where we have supernatural abilities. And I have no intention of stepping into this world without you."

"I'm not crazy." Said Togan, speaking in a monotonous whisper. "With thinking my mother and my father in the state they are in; I can't leave them behind and live the new life you're talking about. Besides, I will remember their current situation after every new information..."

"That's ridiculous." Said Ozan, crossing his arms impatiently. "You should always remember them in every step you take, keep them alive in your heart and feel them with you. Being a family requires this. What do you mean, if I'm not with you one day, will you completely erase me from your mind? Look..." he added, taking a short breath. "I can see that you are having a hard time, I can understand you partly. I had a hard time after losing my father last year too, but I never stopped remembering the memories of my father with a smile."

Contrary to the Ozan's temperament, he had become an emotional being after that last remark. Togan knew better than anyone, maybe even his aunt, that he always had an emotional side behind his cheerful face.

"Sometimes I feel her presence in my imagination." Ozan continued to speak. "To show me the way to go, especially when I have to make difficult decisions." Togan was quietly listening to Ozan. "And your mum and dad are not at the point of no return, you haven't lost them yet. Nothing prevents a miracle from happening..."

"It's a miracle." Said Togan, suddenly interrupting.

Ozan was faced with an unexpected reaction, but he had no intention of giving up.

"Don't you think it's a miracle that you got the invitation?"

"Assuming that Mum and Dad didn't tell me about it before and that I was unaware of everything, it could be seen as a miracle, but if I had been told about all this before, it would have been ordinary news, not a miracle." Said Togan, calmly.

"Ordinary news?" asked Ozan with a condescending smile. "Do you think this invitation is due to some ability in your genes or something? Just because your mum and dad have special abilities doesn't mean you do." He added breathlessly. "I was so afraid of not getting this invitation."

Ozan's fiery, harsh speech had calmed down and softened towards the end. But now it was Togan's turn.

"What do you mean?" he asked, suddenly jumping out of his seat in surprise. "You knew all this before and didn't tell me? I thought we were brothers, friends, cousins, everything. I thought we didn't keep secrets from each other that concerned each other."

A person didn't have the luxury of not keeping secrets from another person. Sometimes even if you wanted, you couldn't tell everything to someone else. You would either be afraid of yourself, the other person, or others, even if you felt that the person you were going to tell was a part of you... But this secret had not such complex thoughts. At least for Togan it was a secret that needed to be known.

"Because I promised my mother." He said, lifting his head softly and looking into Togan's eyes. "Your mother and father didn't want you to know. I don't know if you remember, but I used to ask you some questions. If they gave you a special power, which one would you choose..."

"Er... yes, I remember." Said Togan, stammering. "You told me about the seven abilities and asked me which one I would choose." He added, mumbling.

"Actually, I always tried to tell you, but I couldn't tell you directly when your mum and dad didn't want you to know, and I promised my mum." Ozan said, looking embarrassed. "Your mum and dad were too scared of you being like your brother."