9 - Telepaths These Days

It was getting dark, and the time had reached the first hours of the night. Togan was watching the stars in the sky with his telescope behind his window. The stars were not the only thing he was watching. Every now and then his eyes involuntarily drifted to the window of the neighboring house.

*"I think it must be time for us to meet."

The high-pitched and thin voice that echoed in his mind the day he joined the camp was back again. He anxiously searched all over the room for the source of the voice.

*"I know you can hear me." the same voice said insistently.

He thought he was the only one being addressed, but others were also being addressed. Perhaps this was an example of schizophrenia. He was hearing voices in his mind in a way that he could not explain to anyone else.

*"Who are you?" asked a second voice. "Is this telepathy? I'm not normally a telepath, how can I talk to you? And I haven't even had any training."

It hadn't crossed his mind that this could be telepathy until the owner of the second voice mentioned it.

*"My name is Claire." said the first voice.

Togan was excited to hear something in his mind with telepathy. He turned off the lamp in his room so that no one would disturb him.

*"Yes, what we do is telepathy." Claire continued. "And you don't need a fass in telepathy to do it."

For a moment he thought of jumping out of bed and asking Ozan how he could be involved in the conversation in his mind. Ozan was a telepath, after all. But considering that the training hadn't started yet, he gave up, assuming that he was also inexperienced.

He turned the words he wanted to say into sentences, just like when he spoke. He imagined saying it telepathically while repeating it internally. It happened in an instant. *"Why is there no need for telepathy?" He listened in amazement as his own voice echoed in his mind.

*"I don't even know where to start, I wish James was here." Claire said, adding sadness to her voice when she said James.

*"Who's James?" asked Togan.

He was fidgeting on his bed, waiting for the next speech attempt. At one point, he even wanted to take a microphone in his hand and make a sound like singers practicing their voices. He was so excited. So much so that maybe instead of releasing Claire to speak, he asked a question he wasn't very curious about to try telepathy again.

*"Why doesn't he join us?" asked the second high-pitched voice, right after Togan.

*"Firstly, it would be easier for me to address you if I learnt your names." Said Claire. "Actually, I've learnt your name before when I was in Togan's mind, I only need to learn your name." She added in response to the second voice.

The voices in his mind that he had previously greeted with anxiety had now made his happy. He now knew that he was a normal person. And he was a normal person who could telepathize...

*"My name is Amy." Said the second voice, speaking hesitantly as if she was hesitant to say it.

*"Back to your questions." Claire continued. "Actually, Togan you must have known James. That day..." she swallowed with a sad pause. "You were in his mind that day. Even if your connection happened before it was supposed to."

Togan was just listening. He had no idea what he meant by that day. He thought about it and two questions popped into his mind; what day did he mean and what part of that day was the person he called James in?