7 - Moving

Today they were moving to their new house in the town of Pehube. Togan had not taken most of the things that he considered essential in his old life. As he left these things behind, he vaguely recalled many memories. The memory of the days when he fought with his mother over those things... At that moment, a sad smile appeared on his face. Music, images, objects... They all reminded him of his family. And he couldn't find the strength to face these memories.

He carried only two things to his new life: his mother's fass and his father's wristwatch.

"Aunty." Togan said. "What happened to my father's fass after the accident?"

"After the accident, the connection between your father and his fass was broken. Naturally, it evaporated into thin air. His nest was taken by the messengers of the sacred forest." He said with a sad look. "By the way we couldn't find your mother's nest."

"Aunty..." said Togan calmly.

He reached into his pocket and gripped his mother's fass tightly. As he held it out, his aunt's blank eyes widened in amazement as Togan opened his palm and showed it to her.

"My mother's fass..." said Togan, as if mumbling.

His aunt hesitantly held out her hand, as if it would break even with a glance. When she took the bracelet in her hand, her fingers traced the smooth transitions of the heptagonal blue fass.

"I thought the bond between them was broken." His aunt said, murmuring thoughtfully. "That could mean..."

"What it could mean, aunty."

His aunt saw the excitement and hope in his eyes. She even realized what was going through his mind.

"I can only say that the bond between her and her fass has not yet been broken," said Duygu Aunt, speaking as if she was talking about something normal, unlike her previous thoughtful state. "I wish I could keep it, but you should keep it. Take good care of it." And she put it in Togan's palm and closed her fingers.

"Don't say that Auntie." He muttered to himself so that only he could hear. Of course, he was going to take good care of it until he gives back it to its owner his mum.

"Aunty." He said, once again. "Can I use this?"

"No." said her aunt, nodding.

"You couldn't use it even if you wanted to, because the fasses don't listen to anyone but the person with whom they are connected." she said, turning her eyes to the porters carrying the sitting set. "Could you be careful, they are family heirlooms." She said reproachfully.

When his aunt hurriedly went to her precious belongings, he went to Ozan, who was carrying his belongings.

As soon as Ozan saw him next to him, he asked with an enthusiastic attitude. "Cousin, are we drawing lots for the room?"

It was not very important for Togan which room he would have in their house in this town they had just moved to. There would be empty rooms anyway, he could change them if he didn't like them.

"No need." He said, shrugging. "You can settle in any room you like."

"There's no excitement like this." Said Ozan, sneering. "We were supposed to fight for the room."

Ozan started to pile as many things as he could fit in his lap with the help of Togan. Meanwhile, his aunt was carefully following every movement of the porters. When a girl about Togan and Ozan's age came out of the garden of the neighboring house on their left side, her aunt left the porters alone for a moment. After a few words, the girl ran back to her house.

"Ah, I know this girl." Ozan said, picking his head out of the pile of stuff in his lap. "I met her at the Fass search camp, I think it was Defne." He added, turning his eyes to the neighboring house. "So, she lives here."