My hand flies to my lips for the tenth time.

What I did was stupid, it may complicate things and yet.... I don't regret it. My insides soar when I remember.

Though euphoric, I will just have to keep my eyes open and my head in whatever game is going on, there's a big suspicion that lingers when I think about his sudden mood changes.

A person can not be as sour as a lime one minute and sweeter than a ripe pineapple the next.

I look into the full length mirror. Apart from being her boss's spy, Amelia turned out to be a great make up artist. I have never liked over the top make up , though I do look amazing, it feels as though my face has another layer of skin and my face feels pinched because of the chignon with many pins at the nape of my neck.

When picking out the outfit Amelia told me, everything in the  walk-in closet was bought in my size.

She brought out a black halter neck form fitting number with a thigh high slit for easier movement, clinging to my curves like a second skin. The material feels expensive.

I don't know if the oval shaped sapphires at my throat and ear lobes are the real deal or just replicas but I'd bet an eye they are the real thing.

The person staring back at me in the mirror looks a bit older. My cheeks have hollowed and all of the baby fat is gone. Mom always said I looked older than my age , a trait I inherited from my dad and tonight...... Tonight I can feel it.

My face though nicely made up has an emptiness as clear as day. I feel drained and nervous.

A knock brings me out of my thoughts. Amelia left after finishing helping me with make-up. Only my shoes remain besides me.

I put on the stilettos with a unsteady breath. "Come in"

Liam with a bright smile opens the door and softly whistles. "Well you do clean up good."

He is wearing a black blazer, a white t-shirt and black formal pants which surprisingly makes him look older and he has tied his dreadlocks behind. Gone is the guy in combat boots and head sock, in his place is stylish young man but he still just might be a year older than me. His face has that open friendliness that makes me feel a good vibe from him.

I peer behind him and there's no one there.

Liam holds the door open but also looks behind him and turns to me holding out his elbow. "No need to look so down, I am better company than him."

I don't bother answering him and grab the black crystal studded clutch when he snorts playfully. "All Aze does is grunt for conversation, I don't know why ladies find it appealing."

I smile politely, trying to squelch down the disappointment of not seeing Azrael. Honestly I don't even know why I feel more down. Must be the confusion of what we did in the garage.

I walk slowly on the stiletto death traps and I almost fall but he catches me and I catch a whiff of his too strong spicy cologne.

"Did you hurt yourself ?", he helps me stand straight.

I shake my head.

"Then why are you making that face ?",he muses.

I shake my head again trying to dispell the scent. "It's nothing."

He smiles shaking his head."Not much of a talker are you?"

I nod with a reassuring smile. "Not that much...What cologne are you wearing? If you don't mind me asking."

He beams up again at the question. " Locally produced Wild Western, just the right amount of spicy to spruce up the evening......"

He stops talking when we reach the stairs.

We look at each other , he wiggles his bushy eyebrows. "Well start the descent , I am not carrying you again."

I remember him and the other bald guy carrying me from my uncle's house and him calling me fat. Instead of being upset something loosens up in me.

I put on Thandi's serious face without even blinking. "So you are the one that called me fat the other day?"

His smile fades and his brows draw together. "I'm really sorry about that, I have been meaning to apologize for what I said that day."

I knew it would work, Andrea used to say Thandi had a way of looking down her nose on people taller than her when she would get upset. That memory propels a warm feeling of nostalgia in my chest.

I let a soft smile bloom for the first time in days. "Well no time like the present."

He goes dramatically and utterly still." Has anyone ever told you that you have a really beautiful smile?"

There it is again, he is one of those rare people who have a certain openness about them, like a very trusting child.  I want to be mad at everyone but with his demeanor , my instincts just stop me.

I offer my elbow. "I think you are one hell of a charmer but you will not charm your way out of this one, come on, let's tackle these stairs together and you are forgiven."

A conspiratory look takes over his face. " Promise?"

I also mimick his face holding out my elbow. "Elbow swear".

He smiles softly and joins our arms. " You know, you are not as stuck up as I thought."

My elbow connects with his ribs. "Don't push it..."

He laughs rubbing his ribs with his other hand.

Arm in arm we tackle the stairs slowly until we reach the living room as he goes on and on talking about people I don't even know.