Thursday: Those Messy Boys!!!

Thursday

He woke up to see Mike sitting on his bed with his wide eyes looking up at him. What could Mike possibly want?

"Wake up!" Mike complained, "Chesser's going to the park."

"I know he is. So are we," Brad said as he got up. Mike was sitting there with his footie pajamas on. Mike sighed.

"You're boring. Chesser's daddy is already up with him," Mike whined.

"Joe wake up and help Mike," Brad said as he got up and lifted Mike into his arms. Mike giggled as he got his way. They walked over to Dave's room and Brad set Mike down next to Chester who was sitting on the couch sucking on his thumb.

"Isn't that unhealthy?" Brad asked, nodding at Chester. Dave shrugged.

"I did some research on little kids while Mike was at the doctor. Apparently, kids at three years of age still do suck on things. It's their comfort for when we're not around. Chester uses his bear and other things near him for that comfort when he's scared or alone."

"Mike! No!" Chester screamed as Mike grabbed Chester's teddy bear from him and held it out of his reach. Chester scrambled towards him, trying to get it but Mike continued to hold it away from him.

"Bear is for babies," Mike stuck his tongue out at Chester and then threw the bear across the room. Chester screamed again and ran to pick it up. Brad sighed and scooped Mike into his arms.

"Mike, that wasn't very nice. Say you're sorry."

"No."

"Mike say you're sorry."

"No."

"Mike....."

"No!"

Chester sat on the floor with tears in his eyes, sucking on the bear's ear like he usually did. Chester was so much easier to read than Mike. Mike was always difficult. Dave walked over to where Chester was sitting and picked him up off the ground.

"Mike. Say you're sorry to Chester."

"No. Not sorry."

"Well you should be. What would you say if Chester took your blankie from you?"

Mike glared at him, "He wouldn't."

"But what if he did? You'd want him to apologize right? You'd want him to say he was sorry."

"Yes."

"Well that's how he feels right now. So tell him you're sorry."

"I'm sorry Chesser," Mike said quietly. Chester didn't say anything but at least Mike had apologized. Brad sighed and then set Mike down at the table. Mike stretched and then waited patiently for his Cheerios to come. Chester had already eaten so Dave gave him a cup of water and held him in his arms while Chester drank quietly and kicked his feet. Brad watched. Three year olds weren't supposed to do that. It was a younger toddler thing. Chester had bad habits.

"Dave....are you even trying to teach Chester that some things that he does are wrong?"

"What? He hasn't done anything wrong."

"He's acting like a baby," Brad nodded at Chester who had his eyes closed while he drank slowly, his feet kicking gently against Dave's arm.

"He is," Dave said, "If you're tired of taking care of these two then fine. Rob and I will take them to the park today. But maybe this is why they wanted time away from us. Because whatever they do, we think they should do better."

"I'm not saying that. What if this is exactly what they were like when they were kids huh? We don't know anything about how they acted. What if that's why Chester has so many problems?!"