3. 802018

Zack's POV

"So it seems that society was destroyed then rebuilt?" I questioned.

"Looks like it. Hey, this place looks familiar from up here." Luke said, looking down from the hill we were on to one of the many areas of the city below. 

I hadn't a clue what he was talking about, we were 800,000 years in the future for gods sake. The only way he would have seen this place before was in some kind of weird dream that he'd had.

"Are you sure it wasn't some kind of dream you had?" I asked.

"No, no. It looks like a city I've been to before." Luke confirmed.

"We're nearly eight hundred thousand years in the future, you can't possibly have seen this place before." I said, starting to get frustrated with Luke.

"Actually yeah I think you're right," Luke said. "It was probably one of the many weird dreams I've had."

"Should we have a look around?" I asked, turning to Luke who was already half way out of the machine.

"Oh, I thought we were doing it anyway." He said, clambering down the last step. I pulled the lever next to the chair back to its original place and took the lever next to the dials out of its slot. The propellers on the machine slowed to a halt as I climbed down the narrow steps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were half way to the city and we were both already exhausted.

"I know it's a big city, but why does it have to be so far away?" Luke panted.

"I know right." I said to him in agreement, wiping away the sweat dripping from my face.

After what seemed like hours, we finally reached some form of civilisation. Weirdly, the streets  were dead silent.

It's a city, shouldn't there be people like... everywhere? I thought.

We continued walking until we came to a street. We walked down it and stopped in front of a shop named "Eagle Electronics"

The window was strangely dusty, but we could just see inside. I wiped the window with my sleeve to see an old TV in there play what looked like a news report that, although muffled, I could hear fairly well.

"...is trying to find out who is responsible for two acts of Video Piracy," The presenter said. "Last night someone broke into regular programming here on Channel Nine and on Chicago's Public Broadcasting Station."

The screen we were watching suddenly changed to a blank screen.

"So Leo, what can we gather about this strange new footage?" A new voice said.

"Well Jack, I'm glad you asked. From what we can gather, this footage is from the Pre-Meteoric era. The tape is dated the 23rd of November 1987, which means this footage could be over eight hundred thousand years old." A second voice said.

"What? New footage? What are they talking about?" I asked, trying to get a better view of the picture.

"You're concerned about that and not this 'Pre-Meteoric era' they're talking about?" Luke asked, slightly concerned with what I'd said, which I'd say was pretty dumb of him considering that all of whatever they were talking about was important.

"That's interesting Leo. So you're saying this could have come from before this new species went extinct?" The first voice asked.

"WHAT?" Luke screamed. "HUMANS ARE EXTINCT?"

"Woah, cool your jets. It's probably some fake news." I said, trying to reassure him.

"I can't believe it. Eight hundred thousand years and we'll all be dead," Luke said hastily. "Wait, but if we're supposed to be extinct, who's presenting the news?"

That's when the TV suddenly flickered to life again, revealing something that for the first time in a while shocked me to my core. Instead of Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty sitting in the presenters chairs, there was a lion and a beaver.

Luke was the first to scream, followed by myself. We turned around and there were 3 kids staring us down. One was an otter, another a Giraffe and the third a Pelican. They looked at us like we were aliens, we looked at them like they were aliens. Fear began to set in as we ran as far from them as possible, dodging everything we could. On our small travels, we encountered bears, foxes, tigers and a bunny that tried to say hello.

We kept running until we reached an alleyway. Luke suddenly broke from my path and ran down it.

"Follow me! If we're where I think we are, I know where to go!" He yelled, running down to the end of the Alley. He turned a corner, and I followed. Then he stopped. He dropped to his knees right in front of an old house that looked like it had been derelict for years. I soon caught up with him, doing the same thing. Luke looked as though he might cry.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no," He said, catching his breath. "Not this again, please not this again. Wake up Luke, wake up, wake up!" He smacked his forehead with his fists.

"Luke, what's going on?" I asked.

"Zack, this is a place I fear very much. I've had nightmares about this place. Nightmares, Zack! Nightmares!" He yelled, grabbing hold of my shirt and shaking it.

"LUKE!" I bellowed. He suddenly stopped, retracting back to his spot on the ground. "Sorry for lashing out like that."

"Zack, there is something important I need to tell you. I don't want to say this because I think it'll scare you, but I'm just saying it terrified me when I figured out what was happening." Luke said, starting to shiver.

"What?" I asked, more intrigued than scared now.

"Well, I'll just say this." Luke said. "Balance is no joke. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. I learned that the hard way."

"Luke, what you're saying makes no sense." I said, trying to connect the dots.

"It'll make sense in due course." He replied, starting to sound like the Riddler.