Chapter 4 - Halloween

3rd person (A/N: in this story they have a Halloween Masquerade ball, if you're wondering.)

The fourth to seventh year students all crowded around the great hall, most dancing and others sitting or drinking punch. The marauders seemed to be having an extraordinarily good time, though Remus and even Peter momentarily glanced around them once in awhile, looking almost sad or disappointed, whereas James and Sirius looked as though they couldn't be better.

'Probably celebrating the fact that Ly's gone.' Lily thought bitterly.

3rd person - elsewhere

Three out of four of the marauders all sat around a table, watching the dancing and students fool enough to drink the punch. Sirius had went elsewhere, probably snogging some random girl. Until someone caught their attention.

A girl was stepping into the hall. She had coppery hair which was pulled back into a French braid style and she wore a light orange coloured dress that was longer in the back and the front reached above her knees. She was wearing black heels and a matching mask, decorated with black feathers that brought out the colour of her all too familiar amber eyes.

Her line of vision settled on them and she quickly turned away from them, but not before Sirius had seemingly showed up out of nowhere. Obviously trying not to look like she knew him, her lips turned into a small smile and Remus assumed Sirius had winked at her as she looked down as if she had become shy and bit her lip, forcing her face to flush a light pink when she thought no one was looking.

He grabbed her wrist, kissing her hand, and Remus could just barely see her expression of discomfort and something unreadable before Sirius looked back toward her face and it quickly contorted into a kind smile. They appeared to quietly exchange some words before he turned and vanished back into the crowd. As soon as he had turned away, Lyra's expression became unreadable once more.

Remus

I sprung to my feet, hurriedly closing the distance between Lyra and myself, grabbing her hand before she could walk away. "Lyra."

Her eyes hardened and glared up at me. "I don't have to answer to you."

I reached forward, taking the black mask away from her face, and she didn't seem to argue or protest as she had already scanned the crowd to make sure no one was around that would recognize her face. She only grabbed my wrist that held the mask and dug her fingernails into it. "No. You don't." I looked away. "But I wish you would." Regaining my composure, I searched her eyes once more.

"Why are you here?"

She glared before sighing in defeat. "I thought it would be proper if I came to see how everyone was, even if no one knew it was me."

"But Dumbledore-"

"Dumbledore knows I'm here."

"Then why wouldn't he-"

She groaned in annoyance. "I asked him not to tell anyone I was here."

"Why not-" her eyes glanced behind me and they flashed in anger. She grabbed her mask from my hand, slamming it back onto her face.

"Gotta go." She turned on her heel and was gone in seconds. I looked over my shoulder and spotted Lily a short distance away, though she hadn't seemed to see Lyra.

{06/21/15}