What Happened Years Ago

Ten years ago:

Young Mirabel walked down the stairs, following a golden butterfly, into Casita's room. The little girl opens the door and sees the butterfly land on the woman's dress. Casita grins at her hija, happy to finally meet her.

"Hello, Mirabel."

Mirabel approaches her, "Casita?" Casita nods, "Yes, I am glad you are here." The five-year-old reaches her hand to Casita, touching her yellow dress, "You are full of magic!"

The woman laughs and lifts Mirabel on her hips, "Yes, hija, I am full of magic." Mirabel suddenly frowns, "Um... I'm not your hija." Casita brushes the girl's hair out of her face, "Mirabel, you are. I asked Julieta and Agustin to take care of you because I couldn't, unless I hid you from everyone. I wanted you to live your life above ground."

Mirabel's eyes widened as Casita showed her a picture of the five-year-old as a newborn in her arms. The girl looks at Casita, "If you're my Mama, then who is my Papa?"

"Your Papa," She sets Mirabel down on her feet, "is an amazing man. He has always been around and will always be watching you, protecting you, and always loving you."

"He's here?"

"Always. He is closer than you know, mi hija."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Bruno was talking to Abuela Alma. "I worry about the Miracle. You must look to the future to see if it is in danger!" His mother spoke. With a sigh, Bruno goes into his vision cave and looks into the future, but what he saw frightened him. "Mirabel... Casita..."

He leaves his tower and sees Abuela Alma patiently waiting, "Well?" Bruno shakes his head, "I'm going."

"Going? Going where?" She frowns.

"You asked for a vision, I'm not giving it to you. I'm leaving." Bruno starts walking toward the door. Abuela Alma glares after him, "I want to protect our home! Our Encanto! If you leave, you are dead to me!"

Bruno snaps his head back, sick and tired of the pain he went through for forty years. "I wish I was dead." He hissed. Abuela Alma glares at him, "Then leave!" She turns away, not taking a look back at him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Casita gestures to Mirabel to go back to bed. Her eyes furrowed as she heard Bruno argue with Abuela Alma. Once she saw Mirabel shut the door to the nursery, she saw Bruno heading to the courtyard.

CLICK! CLICK!

Bruno stops at the stairs, "I'm sorry mi vida. I can't stay here." Casita pushes him back to the stairs. The seer tries to get away, but she manages to get him up to the second floor, stopping next to a painting that seems to be sitting awkwardly.

Bruno frowns and pushes the picture, seeing it move slightly. "Hmm?" He opens it to see a hidden passage. Casita nudges his feet, encouraging him to go in. Bruno steps inside and the painting closes behind him.

Casita nods in approvement, glad that he will always be close.

"Mi Amor, don't leave..."