The Future

They quickly avoided the family in the shadows toward Antonio's room. Bruno looks to see cracks forming and the house shutters.

"You should have told me the second you saw the vision! Think of the family." Abuela Alma's voice is heard near the entrance of the house. Bruno and Mirabel look to see Agustin arguing back at her as Julieta stands by his side.

"I was thinking of my daughter!" He snaps back. Mirabel looks at Bruno to see a pained expression. A gust of wind blows snow across the room. Abuela Alma turns to Pepa, "Pepa, calm down!"

"I'm doing my best!" Pepa snaps as Felix is fanning her with a hat, "Yes." He glares at Abuela Alma as Pepa also snaps at her, "You're lucky it's not a hurricane!" Julieta looks at her mother, "Mamá, you've always been too hard on Mirabel."

Small cracks emerge around them. Casita groans in pain as Abuela Alma gestures around, "Look around. We must protect our family, our Encanto. We cannot lose our home!" Bruno grabs Mirabel's hand, and the two enter Antonio's room.

"Mirabel was in that vision for a reason. Find her." As Abuela leaves, the house shakes. Feeling the tremor, animals fly and run off scared as they enter the room. "We might wanna hurry," Mirabel spoke, sitting down as Bruno prepared a sand circle for his vision.

"Ya can't hurry the future, uh..." Bruno is making his circle of sand from his bucket and reaches the Chiguiro sitting in his path. He chuckles, continues pouring the sand, and sits down, "And what if I show you something worse? If I see something that you don't like, you're gonna be all, 'Bruno makes bad things happen, oh, he's creepy, and his vision killed ma' goldfish'."

"I don't think you make bad things happen. Sometimes family weirdos just get a bad rap. You can do this."

Antonio hands Bruno a stuffed jaguar, "For the nerves." Antonio smiles at Bruno and nods, like, I believe in you, then heads off. Bruno looks at the stuffed jaguar, then up to Mirabel, considering. Then, with a weighty exhale, Bruno reaches into his ruana and takes out a handful of salt, then he throws it behind his back.

"I can do this. I can do this. I can do this, I can do this." Bruno lights a match, which he uses to ignite piles of wet leaves. As the smoke begins to spiral around him and Mirabel, Bruno closes his eyes... entering a trance-like state. The magic fills the room, and somewhere in the house, Bruno's door starts to glow. On the way to town, Abuela pauses at the strange occurrence, unsure of the cause.

The entire room begins to glow in the light of his eyes; the wind kicks up, blowing leaves and sand that begin to swirl around Mirabel and Bruno, glowing brighter and brighter. Mirabel looks to Bruno, who looks at her, and his eyes twinkle green, like flecks of glitter.

"You might wanna hang on." He squeezes her hands, and energy surrounds them. Out in the courtyard, Bruno's door begins to spark back to life. Casita watches it with a smile, "Mi Amor..." Mirabel gasps with wonder and is suddenly transported into impressionistic flashes of visions.

Chaos in the house. The family running! Then, a shape: Mirabel standing amidst the expanding cracks. Bruno starts to falter, "It's just -- it's just the same thing, I gotta stop--"

"No, I need to know which way it goes -- there's gotta be an answer, something we're not seeing," Mirabel spoke.

Bruno shouts over the noise, "You're looking at the same thing that I am! If there was something else--" Mirabel gets an idea and turns in the opposite direction. Bruno sees her and thinks it's pointless. Mirabel looks and spots a glitter of gold. "There! Over there!"

Confused, Bruno turns, and it illuminates a butterfly flitting through chaos. Bruno can't believe it, "Butterfly! Follow the butterfly!" As they stand, the butterfly lands on a reed in a river, which dissolves as something begins to glow behind it.

"Where is that...?"

The images flutter, and Bruno struggles to see it, "It's all outta order..." The image starts to come into focus, showing the candle burning brighter, and the cracks disappearing. Bruno grins, "It's, it's-- it's the candle! The candle's getting brighter!"

Nearby is a silhouette of Mirabel in motion, arms out. Bruno gets excited, "I think you're gonna help the candle!"

"How?!"

Bruno's vision moves, showing Mirabel and a glowing figure. Who is it? As Mirabel wills herself to bring the figure into focus, it is the shape of a woman.

"There's someone with you! And you - you fight her!"

"What?!"

Bruno squints, trying to interpret what he's seeing, "Wait, no, no, no, no -- is that a hug?!" Mirabel seemed more interested in the fighting, "Am I fighting or hugging?!" The image of Mirabel hugs the figure.

"An embrace -- AN EMBRACE! -- to make the candle bright, you have to embrace her!!"

"Embrace who?!" The images grow more and more volatile. "Almost there..." Bruno starts bouncing on his feet.

"Who is it?!"

"Almost there... I, I -- I got it!"

As Mirabel steps forward... it's... it's... ISABELA? Mirabel shrieks, "Isabela?!"

A flash of light ends the vision, leaving with glittering sand, which falls onto the chiguiro. Bruno looks at the new emerald vision 'plate' and smiles, "Oh, your sister, that's great!" He turns the vision around but Mirabel stares at it in disbelief. Bruno realizes she hates his vision. He chucks it like it's garbage.

"Every time."

Mirabel starts pacing the floor, grumbling to herself. Bruno watches his daughter nervously, "Mirabel?" The girl stops and slowly turns to him, "Why didn't you tell me that you are my padre?" Bruno jolts at the question and avoids eye contact, "You're-- you're mother..."

"Is Casita herself." Mirabel finished, her hands on her hips.

"How long have you known?"

"Since my failed ceremony." She steps up to him, her eyes narrowed. Bruno sighs, "Mira, Casita wanted you to be raised by Julieta and Agustin. If she had you with her, you wouldn't know the family." Her father looks at her in the eyes, "We- I promised her to protect you, even if that means leaving."

"You had a picture of her and me. You were in it." Mirabel took a deep breath, "Casita told me that you are always close. Even though I never knew it was you." Bruno brushes her hair behind her ear, "Mi hija, we both knew that one day, you would know the truth. It was the rest of the family that worried us. Come on, we have to see your primo."