Spending Time With Casita

Bruno had just managed to avoid a mob of angry villagers and into the Madrigal home. Casita opens the doors, and the ten-year-old dashes inside, closing the doors quickly. Casita watches the mob shouting and screaming. Her shutters quaked in anger as they called Bruno names. Alma walks up to him from the kitchen, "Mi hijo, what is going on?"

Bruno lowers his hood and stares up at his Mama, "They don't like the visions I give them." Casita stands behind him as Alma frowns, "Then, give them the visions they do like, Bruno."

"But, Ma-"

"No." She raises her hand to stop him from speaking. He knew that tone. As did Casita. Bruno lowers his eyes as she stares down at her son, "Try again and help them!" With those words, Alma turns away and goes back into the kitchen, where Pepa and Julieta are heard baking and talking.

Casita makes her door appear before Bruno, silently inviting him to go. The boy grabs the doorknob and enters the heart of the house. The door disappears, and Bruno follows the trail of butterflies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I try as hard as I can, Casita! But noooo! Everything has to be perfect!"

The girl watches Bruno pace before her, venting out his anger and frustration. The boy continues grumbling as she moves her hand from time to time, helping around, but her attention is mainly on Bruno.

"The villagers demand that I give them good visions instead of bad ones. I can't help it if those visions appear. I mean... wha- what can I do?" Bruno suddenly stops and bows his head, feeling drained and exhausted. Casita grabs his wrists and gently pulls him to her.

"Bruno, mi amigo. Nothing is ever perfect. They fear the worst, and that is what your power can only see. If they are happy with their lives, you will see visions that will lead them on a good path."

Bruno looks down, "They depend on me, Casita."

"But they cannot depend on themselves, Bruno." Casita points out, "That is what they are afraid of."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The next few days, Bruno was seeing Casita at night or when his sisters and Mama were not around. Casita would let him vent out his feelings or just see her and want her company. Most times, it was to be near her physical form than just walking around in the house.

Casita opens her door for Bruno, and he enters the house with a sour face. Without question, he goes down and into the heart of the home, grumbling to himself. He opens the door, where Casita is seen dancing in her room and singing.

She knew he was there but continued as he stood next to the door, listening. Once she finished, Casita turned to him and smiled, "Mi amigo! Did you like?" Bruno snaps out of his trance and returns the smile, "Yes. It was beautiful."

"Gracias." Casita dramatically bows, earning a chuckle from the boy. Bruno approaches her, and they hug, "Casita?"

"Mhm?"

"Do you have gifts as well?"

Casita looks up at him, "Si! Whoever touches a door and receives the gift that I give them, I, too, earn that gift."

"So... you have the power to see the future?" Bruno sits down, and Casita joins him. Sitting on her knees, the girl grabs his hands, "Let me show you." Casita closes her eyes and concentrates. Bruno watches as her eyes snap open and glow green. Wind surrounds them, as do leaves and sand.

Bruno watches as a vision appears. Revealing him as a teenager being pushed down by the villagers and a girl defending him. Then the scene changes, showing him and the girl hugging. The vision ends, and a tablet appears between them.

"I had that vision five years ago," Bruno mutters. Casita smiles, "It shows that at least one person in the village will do anything to protect you." Bruno holds the tablet and nods, "Yeah, thanks, Casita. I'm glad you're my friend."

Casita wraps her arms around his neck, "Any time, Bruno."