Chapter Nineteen

Sheamus and Drew were standing at the edge of the grounds of Reaper's home, their swords extended in front of them and their eyes closed as Sheamus chanted the words of an ancient spell. Hope saw Sheamus cast the remainder of the blood magic into the air as Edge and Christian removed their shades and their eyes glowed red.

"That is the path we must take," Edge announced, pointing towards the south side of the land behind the walls of Reaper's garden. Reaper nodded grimly and the group set off, following the Warriors who took the lead. Hitman deliberately placed himself at the rear of the group, putting Hope in front of him, between himself and her father. He figured that was where she would be safest and he could keep an eye on their backs in case there was a sneak attack from behind. He had never faced the Jundgement Day but clearly they were dangerous and not to be trusted so a sneak attack did not seem all that unlikely.

Hope was stiff with tension, but she was not afraid. She had deliberately forced her emotions down that evening as they set off from the house, though her feelings of worry for herself, her friends and her mother were still high. Like Hitman she was unsure what to expect from Judgement Day and slightly concerned that their smoke and mirrors might work on her and her companions. The magic they employed clearly had an effect on the beings they had taken so far which was a concern. If they could fool Persephone surely they could fool anyone.

There was a light shimmer in the air ahead and Sheamus stopped everyone abruptly, his eyes looking it up and down. Drew gave a ragged sigh.

"This is Juniper's magic," he said. "It is a barrier to keep us away."

"Like she used when she held me captive," Hope murmured. She looked it up and down. "The only one who can remove it or admit anyone will be Juniper. Drew you stand the best chance of being admitted by her and forcing her to see reason"

Drew nodded and placed his sword in its sheath at his waist. Striding forwards, his face grim he called to his wife.

"Juniper? Juni? Do you hear me? Wil you let me pass my love?"

The shield shimmered slightly and the others quickly moved away, hiding from sight. Hope watched, her heart thudding as Juniper emerged from the barrier to look at her husband. She could see the Elf's eyes were pale and her movements were stiff as if she did not control them. Tilting her head to the side, Hope almost gave a small cry but stopped herself. That was not Juniper, that was an illusion.

"I've missed you, hen," Drew said, his voice  heavy with emotion as the woman pretending to be Juniper stepped forwards. Hope looked at Hitman, her eyes wide and he nodded; he had seen it too. Taking out his visor he looked across at them both and swore under his breath.

"Barrier is an illusion," he mouthed at Hope who sighed. Drew was reaching out to touch the woman and Hope cried out just in time to stop him.

"It isn't her! It isn't Juniper!"

And as the words left her lips the facade fell away and a tall woman with short black hair and wild eyes stood where the image of Juniper had been. She did not appear concerned to have been caught out though; her black lips curved in a wicked smile and she reached across to Drew.

"Come with me Drew, my great warrior. Come with me and I will be your Juniper for all time."

As her hand touched Drew, Hope saw the big Warrior falter, his eyes rolling back and then he followed the woman. Sheamus gave a cry of rage and went to follow but found his feet wouldn't move; he was stuck to the ground unable to save his friend.

Hope stared round at her companions. Hitman kept the visor on and could suddenly see that each person was working on their own; trapped in some kind of illusion. He could see Kane, his arms raised to set fire being approached by an enormous man with a furious expression on his face who resembled Reaper a little. It was his father and he was threatening Kane with words that made even Hitman's spine tingle with ice. Reaper was completely still, his arms wrapped around Persephone, believing her to be safe once more, all his anger dying. Edge and Christian were on their knees before a nightmarish version of Gangrel, three times the size of the being Hitman knew, with elongated teeth and nails, a terrifying Demon who looked set to take them both out. Swallowing hard he realised that each was being confronted with either a  dream or a nightmare that they could not overcome. He wondered why he and Hope were not effected and figured it was because he had his visor covering his actual vision which was keeping him safe. He could see what his companions could see but he could also see that Kane's father was in fact a Human with slicked back black hair, Persephone was a tree, Gangrel was a tall Demon with jet black hair, Juniper was the female Demon and Sheamus had nothing to prevent him moving but his own mind.