Chapter Fifteen : Only Fools Rush In

A/N: Double post day!

-----

~But I can't help falling in love with you~

The only sound now echoing in the Undercroft were the sounds from the crackling wood in the fireplace.

Sebastian stared at Sabrina, wide-eyed in shock as he struggled to figure out what to do.

Sabrina stared back at him. Her face was numb from the tears, but even though her chest was hurting she finally felt like she was able to begin breathing again.

She couldn't see him, but she could hear Ominis gasping nearby. Sabrina wasn't entirely sure she was ready to see what condition he was in.

Finally, Sebastian cleared his throat. "I'm going to go," he told them. He backed away towards the door. "I'm... I'm so sorry, Ominis."

Neither Ominis or Sabrina said anything as he left. They didn't say anything for a long moment. Sabrina wasn't sure she even knew what to say.

"My brother is threatening to hurt the girl I'm in love with."

Ominis' words were still echoing in Sabrina's mind. She felt completely shattered. But she also felt like a veil had been lifted from her face.

Suddenly, everything made sense.

"How much did you hear?"

Ominis' voice was quiet and loud all at once. Something about them seemed to kickstart Sabrina's heart, and she began to slowly feel it start to beat again.

Sabrina stood up from the floor. When she looked over at Ominis, she saw that he was frozen in place. Ominis' entire body was tense and rigid, but his chest was heaving slightly in shallow breaths. His clouded eyes were unfocused and red from crying, but his face was torn between crying and indifference. He was trying to keep his composure, and Sabrina struggled to stay where she was and not go up and immediately embrace him.

She swallowed and finally answered him. "Every word."

Ominis blinked rapidly as he released a small shaky breath. "Sabrina–"

"Did you mean it?"

Her question froze them both. She knew the answer, but she had to hear it from him.

Ominis took a deep breath finally and dropped his shoulders in defeat. "Every word."

His answer brought tears to Sabrina's eyes. She let a sob leave her before she asked him again. "You're in love with me?"

Ominis closed his eyes, He took another deep breath. "Yes."

Sabrina finally took a step forward.

"I'm sorry."

She stopped moving and waited for Ominis to continue.

Ominis swallowed. "I'm sorry you had to find out this way," he replied softly. "I... I never intended–"

"You never intend to tell me at all."

He winced at her words. "Believe me, I wanted to."

"Why didn't you?"

Ominis turned towards Sabrina's voice as she continued to slowly walk towards him. "I was trying to protect you. I thought that if I didn't tell you then I could keep you safe."

Sabrina was now standing within arms length of Ominis. From here, she clearly saw how worn down he was. How on earth had he been able to stand let alone go to class? He was obviously in so much pain. It just broke her heart further.