Chapter Thirty-Six: Storm of Ice and Truth

TW: Mentions of torture.

-----

"Atticus, please! I beg of you, have mercy!"

Ominis tried to turn away from the screams, but it did little good as Noctua's cries still echoed loudly in his ears.

"I warned you of the consequences of your disobedience, sister. Now you have the great honor in watching me take away the very thing you care about most."

"NO! ATTICUS!"

"Nox, it's alright. Don't fight it."

Ominis didn't know this voice. It was gentle and kind, a very stark difference from the devastation going on around him. And whoever it was, he sounded resolved to his fate. He knew he was going to die.

Noctua wasn't listening. "DON'T KILL HIM!" she sobbed. "PLEASE!"

"Do it, Atticus." The man's voice had hardened. Ominis didn't need to see to know the man's face was now scowling and spitting venom. "Let it hurt you son of a bitch. My only regret is that I won't have the personal joy of seeing you get sent to the bottom of Hell where you belong!"

"CRUCIO!"

Ominis had braced himself for the pain, but instead the spell seemed to land on the stranger. His screams were overwhelming and they sounded more and more agonizing with every second that passed. Between his screams and Noctua's, Ominis felt as if he would be sick.

Suddenly, as quickly as the screams began, they stopped. And Ominis heard the stranger once more.

"Your den of serpents, corrupted by name and power, will fall and burn by that evil which you created. A storm of ice and truth will ignite and leave a glorious hellfire as snake and crow, the eggs stolen by greed, finally determine which legacy will survive to see the sun and which will live to grovel in ruin."

Minerva placed a pair of teacups on the kitchen table as Sabrina picked up another diary from the large pile next to her. "Any luck?"

Sabrina sighed and flipped through the pages. "She wrote a lot about Oliver, and her regrets." She put the diary down and instead took the teacup into her hands. The heat from the warm liquid almost burned her hands, but it had a way of soothing her clouded mind. "But I think I found some entries about Ominis."

"Oh?" Minerva asked before she took a sip.

Putting down her tea, Sabrina got the diary marked 1874 and opened it. She began to read.

"Twenty-second of March. I found out today that I am carrying my third child. To say I was shocked would be a total understatement, but Andrew of course did not seem to care in the slightest. Why would he? Atticus, however, seemed impressed that I was able to bear so many children already, especially when his own body has failed him countless times.

I must share this secret with no one. This child is not Andrew's. I can feel it in my bones that this baby will be the son of Oliver Grayson. I am not sure if I will be able to share this news with him as it would only put everyone in danger. But how could I possibly give this child to Atticus knowing what I know? My poor, ominous child, what can I do? I feel so lost."

Minerva listened to the entry stone-faced and took in every detail. "Does Ominis have any other siblings besides Marvolo, Corvina, and Verena?"

Sabrina shook her head. "No... does this mean that Marvolo and Verena are also her children?"