Part 11

Karishma crosses her legs on the dark brown leather armchair that looks like it is stolen from some dean’s study room. Everything around here feels so serious and dull and the scrub under her brown biker jacket is probably the only colorful thing around. She has made her way across town for a quick talk before heading back to start her night shift. It is a detour but it is a necessary detour.

“Hey.” Zoe rushes her steps from the office into the reception area of her law firm. She knows she has left Karishma waiting for a while and she feels bad about it. Since Haseena is best at punctuality, she figures Karishma might be the same. “I’m sorry. I was having a video conference with a client.”

“Oh, no problem at all.” Karishma gets on her feet for a greeting hug from the woman in her business attire. “I have a favor to ask.”

Zoe sits down on a chair next to Karishma. She is still amazed how Karishma rarely beats around the bush; the thing Haseena seems to be very good at. “Okay.”

“I’m afraid Haseena will file for a legal separation... and I want you to prolong it... stall the process.” Karishma repeats the lines that she has been practicing in her head but they sounded so wrong that Karishma wants to take them all back right away. It almost feels like she is asking the lawyer to bend the law.

“Wh... What?” Zoe tries to lower her voice but she is too surprised to control the volume of it. She has just talked to Haseena this morning and none of this was raised to her attention. Everything seemed fine. Haseena seemed fine.

“You’re her lawyer... one way or another.” Karishma repeats what she was told but everything that has come from her mouth feels all wrong. She shouldn’t be here and talk about this. This is not how she has planned her marriage to be. “I’m guessing she will probably tell you this thing by next week... if she has this on her mind. I know it’s kind of unethical as a lawyer. But. Haseena might come to you as a friend first so... just... as her friend, I would like for you to not let her go through with that.”

Zoe sighs awkwardly. She doesn’t want to meddle but if what Karishma said becomes true, she has no choice but meddle. She is indeed Haseena’s lawyer without really realizing it until now. “I don’t think that will happen. Haseena doesn’t break up...”

“She suggested that we spent some time apart.” Karishma says quietly with a bit of tears forming up in her eyes. She quickly wipes them away and smiles to hide it. “So I’m asking you...”

“Okay.” Zoe agrees although she is not really sure what she really agrees to. It just sounds like an un-Haseena thing. Haseena wouldn’t go through a breakup. No matter what. “Do you have time to step out for some coffee?”

Karishma is a bit surprised by the offer. She is here for a quick favor and doesn’t expect a visit to take any longer than 10 minutes. She looks at her watch and nods. “I still have a few hours. Before my shift starts.”

“I know a place.” Zoe hints and Karishma immediately picks up that she refers to somewhere they will not be found; not by Haseena or by Mira who works in the same building.

The coffee shop is in plain sight and as a matter of fact, it is a type of coffee shop Haseena would absolutely love. It is part coffee shop and part flower shop. Upon walking in, there are different types of flowers in vases and pots on the side. The order counter is opposite from them; with choices of cookies and bagels right next to it. What is so hidden and secrecy about the place is the tables. The seats and tables are way in the back where no one can see from outside.

Karishma and Zoe sit down at the round wooden table at the corner. It is private and quiet. This is the matter that should concern no one else but them.