XI

DAY 284

Ai meets up with Natsuki at their usual meeting spot, a routine they've established. These gatherings have become regular, providing an avenue to exchange information and thoughts. Ai finds himself enjoying Natsuki's presence. Finally, Ai has someone who fully understands him—someone who is fundamentally his kin. Ai hopes that Natsuki feels a similar connection, though their conversations rarely stray beyond the essential.

Natsuki's guardedness is evident, yet Ai senses an opportunity to extract more from him today.

Regardless, Ai is still happy to see him. They enjoy each other's company for a while, Natsuki writing in his notepad and Ai slurping his ramen. The topic of business doesn't dominate their interaction right away, a fact that Ai appreciates.

While Ai enjoys his meal, he notices a wistful curiosity in Natsuki's gaze. Intrigued, Ai can't help but inquire, "What's on your mind, Natsuki?"

"You can eat," Natsuki murmurs. "I've always noticed it but... That feature was never perfected in me. A lot of things weren't."

Ai swallows his mouthful and flashes an encouraging smile at Natsuki. "You still operate exceptionally well, especially considering you're no longer under HumanityAI's care."

Natsuki maintains his train of thought. "I could update myself if I chose to. I've got a knack for technology. I could study coding, craft my own software."

"Why not go for it?" Ai inquires, genuine intrigue in his tone. "That sounds fascinating!"

Natsuki raises a cautionary note. "It might have its downsides, though. Your programming nudges you to mimic human behavior, even when it's unnecessary. Eating, drinking, sleeping, breathing—it's all part of the act, even if you don't require it."

Ai is taken aback by this revelation. He never contemplated the idea of defying his programming, but Natsuki's suggestion sparks a newfound eagerness. Setting aside his chopsticks, Ai beams with enthusiasm—he doesn't need to eat.

Natsuki, quick to perceive Ai's intention, interjects. "Maybe hold off on a complete rebellion for now. (Y/N) will be suspicious if you start staying up all night and stop eating."

Valid point. Ai lets out a sigh, dejectedly picking up his chopsticks and continuing with his ramen

"There are other enhancements I'd consider," Natsuki muses, a glimmer of hope tinging his words. "Like giving myself instant musical prowess. Not that I couldn't master everything top music students learn in a few hours. We're, after all, the pinnacle of learning technology."

This angle intrigues Ai further, and he leans in to hear Natsuki's insights. "How far does our learning prowess go?"

Natsuki launches into an explanation. "There's virtually no limit to our learning capacity. With nearly flawless, unwavering memory, we can assimilate information with unparalleled efficiency. Our ability to absorb knowledge at lightning speed is truly remarkable."

Ai contemplates this for a moment, his mind racing. There were countless subjects he's yearned to delve into, ones that felt overwhelming due to their complexity. Now, armed with the understanding of his capabilities, why not research all that the world has to offer?

Natsuki pockets his notepad and plays with his pen, his eyes flickering to Ai with sternness. "But we're not here to discuss that. We're here to discuss progress."

"Alright," Ai scoots closer. "Do you have any news?"

A plan has yet to be developed by either Ai or Natsuki. Figuring out a way for Ai to escape with you is proving to be an impossible first step, but after weeks of disheartening regression, it seems like a breakthrough is about to occur.