VIII

DAY 237

It seemed like smooth sailing so far, at least in regard to Ai and his silence about HumanityAI. A week of monitoring his movements led to the reassuring conclusion that he wasn't tailing you anymore.

However, this newfound peace came with a catch—Ren wanted a face-to-face conversation.

You journeyed to the most affluent district in the city and, after passing through a security check, gained entry to the city's tallest building, where Ren's private office is situated. A swift elevator ride takes you to one of the uppermost floors, where an assistant guides you along a spacious corridor to a door adorned with a golden plate inscribed with the name "Ren Jinguji."

The assistant's gloved knuckles rap against the door, making his presence known. After a brief pause, a faint voice responds from within.

"Yes?"

Throat cleared, the assistant announces, "Miss (Y/N) is here to see you."

"Ah, give me a moment."

Behind the door, you hear shuffling, but surprisingly, there are also whispers and giggles. You stand there, feeling a bit awkward and uncertain about what awaits you. The last encounter with Ren was anything but innocent.

After a minute or so, the door creaks open, revealing a stunning young woman with flushed cheeks and slightly smudged makeup. She wears a shy but satisfied smile as she bows her head to you and the assistant, seemingly in apology, before playfully skipping down the hall toward the elevator.

Why was there a... oh-

Without giving you a chance to feel embarrassed, Ren peeks his head out, attempting to conceal himself behind the door.

"Thank you very much, George," Ren coos. "I'll take it from here. Come in, (Y/N)."

A warm shudder snakes down your spine. The times Ren has spoken your name can be counted on one hand. The way he says it now, without formality or your medical title, feels intimate, like a covert form of infidelity.

With cautious steps, you accept the invitation and slip into Ren's office, allowing him to close the door behind you. Though you'd prefer to keep your head down, the striking atmosphere of Ren's workspace captivates you. It's a spacious, well-lit room exuding sophistication. Adorning the walls are accolades, certificates, and photographs of momentous occasions, showcasing Ren's numerous business endeavors and unparalleled success. Large windows offer a panoramic view of the city—a sight you'd only read about in cliché, billionaire boyfriend stories.

The office furniture blends contemporary and ergonomic designs, ensuring both style and comfort. A sleek, modern desk commands attention, meticulously organized with just a few essential items. However, Ren doesn't lead you there; instead, he guides you to a cozy seating area adorned with plush armchairs and a low coffee table, dominating one side of the room.

"You're early," Ren casually coos. "Please, sit." He gestures towards one of the chairs, and you waste no time obeying—Ren's aura of authority is too overwhelming to ignore.

"I thought it might be rude to be anything other than early," you explain, tugging at the end of your skirt, wishing you had chosen to wear something that extended further past your knees.

"I'm not disappointed, I must say," Ren continues, striding to a small mirror hanging on one wall. "It means we have more time together."

Only now do you notice that the top few buttons of Ren's dress shirt are undone. He quickly buttons them up and adjusts the sleeves for comfort. Checking himself thoroughly in the mirror, he turns his head left and right, tilting his chin up and down, as if searching for any imperfections.