DAY 243

Ai is practically a novice chemist. Not out of interest, but out of necessity. He takes several of the liquids under the kitchen and bathroom sinks along with the liquids in the laundry room. He mixes it all in one bottle, and adds some water so it's less viscous. Bottle in hand, Ai goes out into the garden.

Your flowers need watering.

DAY 244

Ai found the opportunity to meet with Natsuki, so that's exactly what he does. Kofe's Ramen is located in the dodgiest part of the city where all the sketchiest people hang out. It's not particularly safe, which is probably what makes it the best place for Natsuki and Ai to talk.

As Ai pushes open the door to the ramen shop, a chorus of clinking dishes and lively chatter greets him. The narrow space is brimming with patrons all huddled around worn tables and stools, and Ai wonders how such a small shop can fit so many people inside.

A dim, ambient light filters through small, grimy windows, casting a sepia-toned hue over the scene. The pungent tang of smoke wafts from a corner where a few patrons indulge in cigarettes, their laughter mingling with the occasional cough. The sizzle of ingredients on a hot grill, the rhythmic clatter of chopsticks against bowls, and the clinking of glasses, are all orchestrated by the hum of animated conversation.

Natsuki remains unseen, and Ai refrains from drawing attention by meticulously searching the confined shop for him. He's wary of arousing suspicion among this particular group. To assimilate, Ai joins the queue to place an order for ramen—having skipped breakfast, he knows he ought to eat something. Standing in line, Ai deliberately avoids making eye contact, discreetly surveying the crowd. Despite Natsuki being distinctly recognizable and large, he remains conspicuously absent. Consulting his watch, Ai reaffirms that he's indeed at the right time.

When his turn to order arrives unexpectedly, Ai finds himself unprepared. In a spontaneous decision, he opts for the same choice as the person ahead, hoping it will suffice. As Ai lingers around, his ramen is prepared, and coincidentally, he notices a familiar pair of emerald eyes discreetly observing him from the distant corner of the room, concealed amidst tightly arranged tables and occupied seats.

With his hot bowl in hand, Ai briskly heads over to Natsuki, navigating through the crowd with caution to avoid any collisions. Natsuki is seated alone at a table, a steaming bowl of untouched ramen before him, a small notepad held in one hand while the other wields a pen. He has his hood still, but his mask is nowhere to be seen. Ai's steps are eager as he approaches, but Natsuki gives his full attention to his notepad, scribbling something on its pages.

Seated opposite Natsuki, Ai experiences a sudden sense of detachment from the bustling shop, as if he's stepped across a threshold into a realm of secrecy. Natsuki, absorbed in his own thoughts, breaks the silence before Ai, without even lifting his gaze.

"You're attracting too much attention," Natsuki remarks, his tone unexpectedly curt, catching Ai off guard. Ai had anticipated a more cordial greeting. Nevertheless, he's puzzled as to how he could be drawing attention.

"I'm trying to keep a low profile," Ai responds softly.

"You're not doing a very good job," Natsuki retorts with a hint of exasperation.

Frowning, Ai attempts to earn Natsuki's attention. "What are you writing?"

Natsuki's sigh suggests irritation. "A song."

Ai's surprise is evident. "A song about what?"

Natsuki briefly glances over his notepad, fixing Ai with a sharp stare. "Nothing."