Chapter 6 ~ Never Forget or Doubt It

It wasn't a particularly restful night. After their dreams, or rather nightmares, had melded together neither of them were able to go back to sleep easily. Y/N roused first, turning to see Wanda sleeping peacefully beside them. They smiled, glad Wanda had managed to drift off again. Y/N rolled back over and picked up their phone. The time read 3:49. Far too early, but lying here until a time more appropriate would be pointless. Trying to be as careful as possible, Y/N pushed themselves out of bed and padded barefoot towards the bathroom. They winced softly at the cool marble tiles. The face in the mirror's reflection was both recognisable and not. Tired eyes with an equally tired mind behind them. In similar times before Y/N had come to one conclusion, focus on work. A few years ago that was their dissertation, now Stark Industries R&D. Splashing cold water on their face, which honestly didn't do much to alleviate their exhaustion. Letting out a world weary sigh, Y/N walked back into the bedroom, dressed then headed for the kitchen.

~~~~~

Wanda's Tower apartment wasn't big by any means, and it certainly wasn't on the level of the penthouse, but Tony Stark didn't do anything by halves. The apartments for each of the Team being no exception. Wanda's kitchen was handsomely furnished, all the standard features and appliances, plus a few extra surprises Tony had insisted on. All the while refusing to elaborate on what they really were - but then that was really the only unsurprising part.

In any case, Y/N didn't need anything fancy to make tea. While the water boiled, Y/N sat at the small breakfast bar opposite, leafing uninterestedly through the scattered tech magazines. Normally the latest advancements and trends would prove more intriguing. Not today. Not after last night. If Wanda had indeed seen the same dream they had, then some uncomfortable questions would be heading Y/N's way. They hadn't been terribly forthcoming with information about their time in HYDRA's grasp. Mostly from no desire to rewalk bad memories, but they trusted Wanda so maybe it was time to be more honest.

"I think that's stirred plenty."

Y/N turned sharply, Wanda was standing in the doorway.

"Well you can never be sure." Y/N answered, lifting the mug to their lips. Watching as a sleepy Wanda walked over in soft pyjamas.

She scoffed and moved to start fixing her own tea, after which she came at sat with them.

"You're up early."

"So are you."

"Y/N".

They sighed, "I couldn't sleep."

"Well we didn't have the smoothest of nights sleep."

"I've had better."

"Wanna talk about it?" Wand moved her free hand to rest on Y/N's.

Y/N smiled softly, "No not really, but here goes."

They took a deep, heavy breath and began their story.

~~~~~

"I didn't really panic until they breached my lab door. It made me realise you all wouldn't be back in time. I don't blame you." They added quickly, seeing Wanda's conflicted look.

"I know, but I do blame myself."

Y/N squeezed her hand, "I was so afraid, but I knew I only had to hold out until you came. I always knew you would."

"You're much braver than you know."

"After they took me, they. They tortured me."

Wanda gave out a pained sob, but Y/N moved forward.

"They wanted information, about the Avengers, SI, anything that could be of use to their 'mission'. Whatever it was they never said and I was merciful not there long enough to find out."

"I didn't give those Nazi scum anything, not even a patent. I'm no superhero, but I hope I did my bit to protect a better world."

Looking up, Y/N saw tears rolling down Wanda's checks just as they felt tears of their own begin to fall. "You're the strongest superhero I've ever met." Wanda said, launching herself over into her partner's arms, wrapping them in a tight embrace. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She whispered over and over. She needed Y/N to know, to really know. To never forget or doubt it again.

#?#?#?#

"So what have you learnt?" Sophie and Matt watched as their boss stood before them, arms crossed, watching them impatiently.

"Well, Sir, recon of the building itself confirms what we already knew."

Matt jumped in, "They've got extra guard postings, more cameras - infrared and night vision; motion sensors too."

"They've also got a new pass system." Sophie said, taking control back.

Both watched their boss mule this over for a few minutes, "All to be expected I suppose. Anything else?"

The two Agents looked between one another, "We saw an intern leaving, not sure how useful he could be. He's young, so using or turning him could be straightforward."

"Did you get a name?"

"Er yeah, let me see." Matt mused, taking out a tablet from his duffle and scrolling through it. "A Peter Benjamin Parker, 16 years old, MidTown Tech, lives in Queens with an Aunt May Parker."

Their boss nodded, "Could be of use, this is an adequate start. We'll be sending you back to New York, but you'll be undercover in strategic locations. Anderson will fill you in. Dismissed."

#?#?#?#