I Hail a Cab

Theo's POV

Annabeth and I waited for Percy in an alley on Church Street. She was pacing back and forth while I was leaning against the wall.

It didn't take long for Percy and...the other guy...to show up. Annabeth pulled them off the sidewalk just as a firetruck passed, most likely heading for Meriweather Prep.

Annabeth: (to Percy) Where'd you find him?

Percy: He's my friend.

Annabeth: Is he homeless?

Percy: What does that have to do with anything? He can hear you, you know. Why don't you ask him?

Annabeth: (surprised) He can talk?

"Guy": I talk. You are pretty.

Annabeth: Ah! Gross!

She stepped away from him, which caught me by surprise. I know his kind isn't exactly a friendly bunch, but he looks like a sweetheart. I don't think he'd hurt a fly.

Percy: Tyson...Your hands aren't even burned.

I looked at Tyson's hands, and sure enough, there were no burns at all. I guess it makes sense.

Annabeth: Of course not. I'm surprised the Laistrygonians had the guts to attack you with him around.

Tyson seemed fascinated by Annabeth's blond hair. He tried to touch it, but she smacked his hand away.

Percy: Annabeth, what are you talking about? Laistry-what?

Theo: The monsters in the gym. Basically, cannibals who live in the far north. Which makes it weird seeing them in New York of all places.

Percy: Laistry- I can't even say that. What would you call them in English?

Annabeth: Canadians. Now come on, we have to get out of here.

Percy: The police'll be after me.

Annabeth: That's the least of our problems. Have you been having the dreams?

Percy: The dreams...about Grover?

Theo: What? What about Grover?

Percy told us about his dream, which really concerned me. What was Grover running from?

Percy: Why? What were you dreaming about?

Theo: My dad. When I was a baby 3000 years ago. That's it.

We both looked at Annabeth, whose eyes looked stormy, like her mind was racing a million miles an hour.

Annabeth: Camp. Big trouble at camp.

Percy: My mom was saying the same thing! But what kind of trouble?

Annabeth: I don't know exactly. Something's wrong. We have to get there right away. Monsters have been chasing me all the way from Virginia, trying to stop me. Theo showed up and helped me out of a rough spot. Have you had a lot of attacks?

Percy: (shakes his head) None all year...until today.

Theo: None? But how...

I looked at Tyson.

Theo: Ah. That explains it.

Percy: What is that supposed to mean?

Tyson raised his hand like he was still in class.