25

I heaved a deep sigh and gathered my courage. I pressed the elevator button and waited in torturous silence.

For all the times that I went here, I'm usually excited... excited to see him and stay in his place. But now, all I could feel is dread... and worry... and guilt... like my heart is being torn into pieces while all these complex emotions seep in.

The elevator opened and the dinging sound snapped me back to reality. It was either because the surroundings is too quiet or I'm just really nervous, but I can hear my heartbeat thumping loudly.

I can't believe that I'm gonna do... what I'm about to do... I'm no saint but I try not to hurt the people around me... the people I care for the most...

But... it's for the best, is it? I mean... I can't be the hindrance to both of our family's deal... and I definitely can't be the hindrance to his inheritance.

It only took me a few hours before I came into a decision. It's not nice nor pretty... but I have to do it... it's the most rational option... but also the option that will break my heart... and his heart!

Kung pwede lang sana na ako na lang ang masaktan. I can bear it... but Iouis... I know he's strong and capable but the thought of him hurting again because of me... hindi matanggap ng sikmura ko.

"Cara," Frankie called as her head went in between the doorframe and the door.

I nodded at her and she entered. She gave me a tired and weary smile as she sat on my bed.

"How are you?" Nakanguso niyang tanong. "Lacey said you walked out so, as much as I wanted to check on you, I know that we have to give you time."

Tumango ako at saka sinandal ang ulo sa kaniyang balikat. She caressed my hair and hummed calming tune.

We stayed in that position for a few moments before I stood up. I took the pregnancy test kits that were hiding in my drawer.

Matagal ko na dapat 'tong ginawa pero pinangunahan ako ng takot at pangamba. I was a coward... but right now, I have to make sure.

I mean... there's a big possibility that it's gonna be negative, but I still want to make sure.

"Cara..." Frankie called breathlessly. "It's negative. You're not pregnant."

Nakaginhawa ako nang marinig ang sinabi niya. I took the test kits from her to check. Negative nga.

"One problem down..." bulong ko sa sarili at napailing na lang.

"What's next?"

I sighed. "Lacey."

Frankie nodded and gave a small smile. "She's still in the kitchen, bawling her eyes out."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko sa narinig. Ilang oras na mula noong umalis ako. Nakatulog at nakapag-isip-isip na ako pero hanggang ngayon ay nandoon pa rin siya?

"She fell asleep while sitting on the floor. Sumisinghot-singhot pa!" Dagdag ni Frankie at napailing na rin.

I sighed again and went out. Tama nga ang sinabi ni Frankie at nakaupo si Lacey sa sahig. Her knees were bent and her head was resting on the cabinet. Namumula ang kaniyang mga pisngi at pasinghot-singhot nga siya.

"Lacey," I called. Tinaasan ko ang boses, sakto lang na magising siya pero hindi ganoon kasobra na magugulat siya.

Napaigtad siya at mabilis na napatayo. Both her eyes and mouth widened.

"Cara..."

I rolled my eyes. I don't have much time for anymore dramas and tears, but I still want to hear her out. I don't need to... but I want to... I don't think I can just discard her like that... galit ako... I feel betrayed but... it's still Lacey...