22

I pushed the door open and went inside Cafe M. Frankie and Lacey dropped me here while they went first to the university. Nag-bato-bato-pick kaming tatlo at ako ang natalo kaya heto ako, bumibili ng pagkain para sa kanila.

I was one of the first few customers of the cafe. And ibang mga pagkain ay nasa kusina pa kaya kailangan kong maghintay.

Anang barista na ako ang pangalawang customer nila. The first one was sitting at the corner. Nakatalikod siya sa akin ngunit nang tumingin siya sa gilid ay nakilala ko agad kung sino.

I took the seat in front of Izarra. Her eyes widened for a fraction before shaking her head.

"You have something to tell me again?" Paghahamon ko nang nakangisi.

For some reason, hindi ko naman siya gustong awayin. Hindi rin ako nang-aasar. She's not my friend, but I'm also sure that she's not my enemy.

She looked up to me and glared. She closed her thick book that I'm familiar with since Iouis has been reading it too.

"Just say it," I urged. Hindi naman ako sigurado kung may sasabihin talaga siya.

"You're bold," she said straightly. "You sat in here and... demanded to tell you about Iouis."

I shrugged. Sa totoo lang, hindi ko rin alam kung bakit ko siya kinausap. I could've just waited for my order at the counter. Or somewhere else. Wala pang tao sa cafe kaya kahit saan ay pwede akong pumuwesto.

"I'm here to eat," she rolled her eyes again before looking away. "I said everything I needed to tell you. What you will do with it is up to you. At least I warned you. At least I tried."

She sighed and looked at me again. She looks tired. "I'm not forcing you to break up with him or whatever... just let me have my coffee..."

Hindi ako nagsalita at sumandal na lang sa upuan. Wala pa rin ang order ko kaya rito na lang muna ako. Mukhang okay lang naman sa kaniya na nandito ako.

"You're not in your usual spot," she looked up to me as she sipped her coffee.

Tumaas ang kilay, nagulat na alam niyang may "usual spot" ako.

"Iouis always talks about you so now I know your favorites... it's weird and annoying," she explained as if reading my mind.

Sabay kaming ngumisi at napailing-iling.

"How's he?"

She almost spit her coffee when she heard my question. She looks enraged and offended. "Excuse me? Is that a trap question? I do like him but I'm not that kind! Hindi ako mang-aagaw!"

"You sound offended," I pointed out with a shrug. "And I was referring to your university life. How's the law school Iouis!"

"Ikaw ang girlfriend, diba?!" Sagot niya pabalik.

Hindi ko rin alam kung bakit sa kaniya ako nagtatanong kung pwede lang naman si Iouis. I don't know... really... but I feel like there's something that Izarra knows that Iouis wouldn't tell me... or didn't tell me... malakas lang talaga ang kutob ko.

"Fine! You wanna know something? Then I'll tell you!"

See? Sabi ko na nga ba!

"Last time... when you two weren't on speaking terms—yes, I am updated because all he talks about other than his love for the constitution is you!" she started with a scoff. "He was late for a recitation, but our prof only gave him a passing grade even when he was the only one who had a decent answer."

I tried to recall that instance but couldn't. I was hoping that Iouis told me about that, but I'm sure that he didn't.

"But other than that, he's great," aniya sa nababahalang tono. It was as if gusto niyang bawiin ang sinabi.