Chapter 23

{New Era}

                                                                                  {New Era}

August 31st 1507, Edinburgh castle

"Elizabeth, please be careful not to trip". Young Queen shouted to her daughter, seeing her running around garden with her sister, princess Lena. Last year was hard for royal family, deaths of Princess Margery and her poor son, Prince Arthur, Lord Duncan's treason... But one beautiful thing had happened-royal family became bigger for one member, little one year old Princess Anne.

"Look at them, it's been like yesterday when Lizzie was born. She looks so much like William." Duchess Anne exclaimed, looking at Katrina, who was making faces to her baby cousin Anne. "Your Katrina grew up so fast, I remember like it was yesterday when she was born. It's pitiful that little Arthur died, he was an infant."

"Why you women need to discuss about dark and melancholic themes?" A familiar voice was heard and little princess began to smile and shout loudly." DADDY!" Little Anne stretched her hands to her father with toothless grin." Come here, my little girl." He smiled, taking Anne in her hands, kissing her brown curls. Since William had ascended the throne, only heirs which his Queen gave him were two princesses but he didn't care what others were thinking.

He loved his three girls, even Lena wasn't born of his and Eleanor's blood, he loved and cherished her like his two biological daughters. "I'll leave you two, let's go, Kat. Daddy is waiting for us." Duchess took her daughter's hand, leaving William and Eleanor alone. "Where are Lizzie and Lena?"

"They're chasing butterflies and dragonflies around garden." Eleanor said, looking at the horizon sadly. For some time, William noticed a change in his wife's behavior, after Anne's birth, she became extremely distant and melancholic. Last time she acted like that was when her mother died four years ago.

He gave a silent sign to Louisa to take Anne to the nursery, leaving them finally alone. "Eleanor, what's wrong with you, dearest? Last time when I saw you like this was when Queen Elizabeth died. Talk with me, please."

He took her hand, kissing it gently and he caught her shedding a tear. He sat beside her, pulling her to him. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. We've been through hard time before and we overcame it. Whatever it is, we'll overcome it together, love."