Chapter 11 - Echoes and Consequences (part 2)

Hatasuko finally opened his eyes for what felt like the first time in ages

Hatasuko finally opened his eyes for what felt like the first time in ages. His chest still ached from the lingering pain of the weapon which had pierced him, but the sense of lethality was now absent. As he slowly gained awareness of the starlit world around him, Hatasuko realized that his body floated in a body of water. There was a slight current in the water, but it flowed too gently to pull anything; this certainly was not a river or ocean. Hatasuko glanced down and saw that a rosy color stained the water around him. He moved to set his feet on the underwater ground, and before long, he could feel the gentle sensation of tiny pebbles between his toes. He straightened out his back and felt several joints crack at once, but the cracking was not as painful as it was soothing. Hatasuko noticed that the wounds on his body had healed, and he knew that this was because of the water.

"I've always heard of the healing waters of the Fons Vitae. This fountain can heal wounds, repair organs, and soothe the soul that's trapped inside human skin. Perhaps the legend is true. Even if it's a lie, the beauty in this place is remarkable," Hatasuko mumbled, though his voice was groggy since it had not been used for days.

Hatasuko pulled his golden bangs off his face and stared at the center of the rose-colored lake. There was a small cascade in the center of the pond which poured water in from the sky above. The waterfall was so magnificently tall that Hatasuko could not see where the water flowed from, and since the desert was a flatland all around the lake, no river fed the waterfall.

             "There's a rumor that the water trickles down from the heavens above

"There's a rumor that the water trickles down from the heavens above. They say that tiny particles of water crash together at the very edge of space, and then it all pours down here. I love it so much; I just think it's so pretty. I really believe that these waters saved your life," Vaida said from the edge of the oasis.

As soon as he heard Vaida's voice, Hatasuko felt something awaken within himself. It confirmed that he had truly reentered reality. He was finally free from the hopelessness of the tempest. He quickly jerked his head so that he stared at Vaida, though the powerful wind pulled his hair in front of his face. Between his wet strands of flapping hair, he saw the beautiful girl standing between the water and a large sail-rana. Though he noticed that this ship was larger than the two that they had used in the past, he cared about nothing other than his reunion with Vaida. She stared at him with a smile and a glint in her one uncovered eye. Hatasuko pushed himself to march through the pinkish water until he finally reached her side on the damp desert sand.